Reviews for The Surprise Party, by R.L. Stine

roxiethebookslayer's review

"Dwayne was a first-class sleazoid creep."

In this second installment of the Fear Street series, Meg plans a surprise party for her BFF, Ellen, whom is visiting for the first times since she moved away suddenly after the death of her boyfriend, Evan. Not everyone thinks that is such a great idea. She has someone calling her house with threats unless she cancels the party. Rather than cancel, Meg investigates.

Who could it be? Brian, her weird cousin, is obsessed with the RPG Wizards and Dungeons. Her boyfriend, Tony, has been acting weird since Evan's accident. Ellen herself? I mean she hates parties.

But when Ellen and 4th Level Wizard Brian team up to bring Evan back, the surprise party surprises everyone.

Dislikes: Meg's reaction to Tony and Ellen.

⭐⭐ for being entertaining
.25

bugaboo_4's review

I found this one to be a vast improvement over the first installment, "The New Girl." This one kept me guessing right up to the end and I actually gasped aloud at one of the reveals. "The New Girl" had better main characters in Cory and Lisa but the plot of this one was much more satisfying. I think Stine found his groove in the series at this point. I look forward to starting "The Overnight" next.

li3an1na4's review

Meg is a total badass who doesn't kowtow to threats of death over the surprise party she's throwing. Not only that, she goes on full investigative mode and ultimately foils the murderer at the end. Fear Street has nothing on her.

Cory and Lisa also appear in this book showcasing their now mess of a relationship. As predicted.

jaimiemckenna's review

I liked where this book was going and then it got a little annoying. Almost every page was based around trying to figure out who the villain was. Other than that, it's another good Fear Street novel. Cheesey books like this are awesome! :)

shanya's review