Reviews tagging Death

A Tip for the Hangman, by Allison Epstein

caidyn's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

When I saw this book, I wasn't sure what it was about. I had no idea what it would be, just that it was historical fiction with Christopher Marlowe and I had to give it a try. I read it in under 24 hours because it was so good. I knew nothing about Marlowe, but now I'm going to have to start reading about him because this really whet my appetite with how he was portrayed. A likely queer man who could have been a spy and also died mysteriously? Count me in. This was a very good book and I've already been recommending it to people.

biblio_jordyn's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

“It brought a sense of petty satisfaction, watching someone who doubted you adjust their expectations.”

Scholarship student and future playwright, Christopher Marlowe, gets pulled aside by Queen Elizabeth I’s Spymaster for an opportunity...be a spy. Dangling gold and thrills to the student who came from nothing? How could he say no?

I, usually, don’t read historical fiction, but this one caught my eye because of the description.

Historical fiction? Thriller? LGBTQIA Representation? All wrapped into one? I was sold.

What could have been better?
There were some sections that I thought dragged, which could have been replaced with scenes with action and espionage, but that could be me being impatient and just wanting a full on drama.

What I liked?
For the most part, the storyline was interesting and believable. The  espionage portions of this book were ADDICTING. The writing immersed me in England with familiar playwrights like William Shakespeare in some sections. ALSO! Portions of this book were based in truth (not all, which is all explained at the end in the authors note). Honestly, reading this felt like watching a spy movie/tv show. I was left with a new found love I didn’t know I would have!

This is a book I WOULD LOVE to see turn into a Netflix original series, can we make that happen?

This author has definitely sold me on historical thrillers!

jamesflint's review