The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas

qgg's review against another edition

Heartbreaking, sincere, grounded, powerful. I can’t do it justice in a review. Just read it. The audiobook performance was stellar.

sogoldyn's review against another edition

dark emotional funny informative inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

abbeykatew's review against another edition

This was an easy read (I finished it within a day of starting it) but it tackles a variety of difficult topics pertinent to our society in 2017. I really enjoyed the book and the author's style of writing. It's classified as a YA novel but it didn't feel young to me -- it felt real. Highly recommend!

ggward24's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

i_will_papercut_a_bish's review against another edition

Some issue books are solid on content, but the storytelling suffers. Some stories are engaging, but the representation falls flat.

The book is a home run on both counts. I read it start to finish in one setting. I'm still staring at it with a lump in my throat-it's one of *those* reads.

I'm sure other reviews with do it more justice with details, so I'll just offer my gut reaction: this should be required reading, not only for YA readers, but all humans in 2017. The voice is relatable and engaging, and the author does a spectacular job communicating all the dizzying emotional layers of the protagonist's dilemma in a way that's thorough, relatable, and even humorous/heartwarming/gut-wrenching. Recommend highly.

nina1117's review against another edition

You know how you're scared to read a book because you've heard so many good things you're afraid it won't live up to the hype? That was this book for me. I also don't normally read contemporary YA, so I was worried that would affect my opinion as well. Boy was I wrong. I devoured this book in one night. Anyone who has been paying the slightest attention to what's going on in the news recently can understand how relevant and how necessary Starr's story is to hear. I'm actually sad that I'm on maternity leave and can't pass this one on to my students faster.

momsbookcollection's review against another edition

It has taken me a hot minute to write this review, because this book is very special and powerful. The stuff that happens in this book is literally what is happening in the world and reading this made me open my eyes even more then they were before.

“What's the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn't be?”

I feel i can not give this review the justice that it needs but i am happy to atleast put in my own thoughts.

My favorite characters in the book would have to be Maverick for the love of a father, sweet words and personally someone that will help anyone in need. I also like Starr the courage and bravery she endures is amazing.

“Pac said Thug Life stood for 'The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everybody'.”

My heart broke while reading this literally i teared up a few times which does not happen to often while reading books, watching movies i ball my eyes out.

Speaking of movies..... i ended up watching the movie with my husband after i read the book (he did not read the book) we both liked the movie but thought they could have done better. I had to fill in some spots for my husband from the book cause he felt some things were left out or not finished. I however was upset that Devante was not there but also why make King be played by the person he was played by? i was thinking he was more like Notorious B.I.G type instead. The biggest let down was what Sekani did which was not even in the book!!!!!!! With that we give the movie 2.5 maybe a 3 star.

zegim's review against another edition

funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

joe_murphy's review against another edition

emotional inspiring tense medium-paced

mvsstevens's review against another edition

This was a sobering, heart wrenching take on today’s ( and yesteryear’s) America. With heavy topics including speaking up against injustice, racism, street life, interracial relationships, and police violence this was not a read in one sitting kind of book. Still processing...