The Four Profound Weaves, by R.B. Lemberg

ohcatherinemayi's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring fast-paced

dori_mondon's review against another edition

I thought perhaps Netgalley automatically sent my review here as it has before, but apparently this time it hasn't so I'm reposting it, because OMG. I was and am still competely enthralled by this book. Since then I've been trying to hunt down every Birdverse story I can. I don't often buy fiction anymore - reserving it mostly for galleys and library borrows via Libby - but this is one for the shelves once it's published. There are so many levels of importance to it. WOW. Below follows my original review for NetGalley, which sent me the galley in exchange for an honest review (thank you! Maybe my most enjoyable galley read from them so far).

I was so enthralled by this book I sacrificed three nights of sleep and then slept through two classes for it and am now on a quest to explore more of the Birdverse. If, like me, this is your first exposure to that realm, you are thrown right into this magical world in The Four Profound Weaves, but you learn as you go. It's delicious like that. I have put off this review for three days now because I wanted to write something more intelligent about this than I think I'm probably capable of at this point, but I can't. Mostly I just want everyone who likes this particular genre to read this. I don't want to compare R. B. Lemberg to anyone else because they stand on their own, but I do believe that anyone who enjoys writers such as Ursula K. Le Guin and Octavia Butler will love this. That being said, I also want anyone who wants (or needs) a deeper understanding of queer, trans, and non-binary identity to read it. And also anyone who's ever loved someone whose true nature came out while they were with them. They should read this, too (yeah, it got personal). And also people who would like to see more queer, trans and non-binary characters and people like themselves in books. Read this. The Birdverse is an enchanting place and I am now completely under its spell.

faloneran's review

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

rtollett's review against another edition

I mean? Good for this person for getting their book written and published but. It took way too long to grasp what was going on and even though there was definitely a plot and magic and character development, you could barely tell with the way it was written.

loonaawoona's review against another edition

This book was disappointing. It has a neat idea and a unique world with a magic system I'd love to understand, but there were just so many issues with this book.

The two characters the book follows are almost completely interchangeable. You could not tell who was speaking without being told because they have exactly the same voice.

The magic system, and most things in the world, are left unexplained and it's confusing. There is little to no indication of what might be possible for a character to do.

It reads like a draft of the book, with typos, and oddly inconsistent formatting. The font size randomly changes. There are dashes thrown in mid word for seemingly no reason.

It's was a very disappointing experience because it's a queer story by a queer author, and that's really what I want to read. Sadly, I could not recommend this book to anyone.

bookloversboudoir's review against another edition

This was my first time reading the author. If this great book is anything to go buy, it won’t be my last. I really like the idea of The Birdverse. It has massive potential for books so I will seek out more work set in this universe. One of the characters has had a sex change and is now a man. What impressed me about the book is that is never seen as a big issue, just something the character chose. In other books this would be more of an issue and the plot might revolve around this. In The Four Profound Weaves this is just something that happened and isn’t the focus of the story. I thought this was great and got lost in the fascinating world, myth and lore of the book and the story as it bounced between two characters. I wish it had been longer.

tyrshand's review against another edition

This was a lovely read and written in a style that seems popular this year -- a sort of dreamy, beautiful tone that maybe doesn't quite make sense... mostly because we don't have all the pieces and can we really understand any world, maybe?

I loved that the characters were older and had lived full lives. That they live in a world that allows for gender fluidity and queer relationships (even if not everywhere does). There's a wonderful friendship that grows between the two protagonists. The hints we get of the religion and magical system are intriguing. There are, basically, just many, many elements to love. I'll definitely read more set in this universe.

bookishviolet's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

jakinabook's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

pocketeditionliz's review against another edition

I definitely liked this book. I think I should have attempted to read it in one sitting versus picking it up/putting it down as often as I did. I think that took away from some of the ambiance of the reading experience. Buuuuuuuuut, still a super unique and fascinating book that takes a different angle when depicting characters as a part of the LGBTQIA+ community. It makes a hard-to-talk-about topic understandable for those of us, not a part of the community ourselves.