Wings of Fury, by Emily R. King

pepper9627's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

knhidalgo03's review

ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review

I first discovered Emily R. King through her The Hundredth Queen series. When I saw she was exploring a new mythos, I had to read.

This is a very strong start to a series. The world building is thorough and enjoyable. Althea is such a strong, no nonsense character. I think a great summary of what you will find in this book is this quote:

"My mother told me that men would speak about the Golden Age as a time of peace and happiness for all. Passed-down stories would boast of an era of general ease when the lives of men were blissful, full of abundance, and blessed with spontaneous growth, each man unconstrained in heart and soul. However, the women of our age would tell a very different story."

mloucks's review

This was my Amazon first read for February and I loved this book. Mythology is one of my favorite genres to read about but usually it can be repetitive. I did not see the twist in this book coming. I really enjoyed the ending of this book.

ineffablebob's review

adventurous medium-paced

Wings of Fury is what I'd call alternate mythology. Kinda like alternate history, but with mythological characters. It takes place in Greek mythology, when Cronos rules the world and his son Zeus is just coming of age. Most of the focus is on a family of young women, trying both to survive and to make the world a better place, mostly for other women. It's an interesting take on an old story and I enjoyed it, though I suspect much of that is because I enjoy the mythology already.

billies_not_so_secret_diary's review

I won this book through Goodreads giveaways with the request of an honest review.

This is the first book of the series and it takes place during the time Cronus is in charge. The women during this time are subjects; imprisoned, slaves to men, and must cover their faces when out in public, some women though, will disfigure their faces. When this had first started it was with the hope they would be left alone, but as more and more women did this, the practice started to become a 'beauty' trait that men accepted.

The MC of this story is a stubborn girl, who doesn't want to be owned by a man, or anyone, and hates Cronus because of what he lets happen to the women, but it's acceptable because he treats them the same way, and worse.

The plot is pretty straightforward and moves along at a decent pace. I was afraid that it would leave off as a cliffhanger, but thankfully it did not, and even better the ending wasn't hurried to finish it.

With the violence and treatment towards women, including young girls, I wouldn't recommend this book to readers under 14. It wasn't too graphic, but still, parents should be ready to explain or talk about the issues in this book.

Because of the straightness of this story, 'ABCD', without really any side plots, and the characters being pretty straightforward also, I'll give this book 3 stars.

taypoor's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

rachel75's review

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

cjxx26's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

fd66's review

adventurous inspiring fast-paced

terynce's review

I'm ready for the series to continue. I'm a sucker for gods personified so this story which culminates in the attempt to overthrow the Titan Cronus kept me interested. Zeus, Helios, Eos, Selene, and some other characters from mythology are there with some unique interpretations.

I would have liked more titan intrigue - we really only have Cronus as a meaningful character from that level. Others are mentioned by name, but are less actively involved in the plot. The story is really Althea's journey to save her sisters Bronte and Cleora. She meets some people, titans, demigods, demititans? along the way.

By the end she's aligned with Zeus against Cronus and we know how this goes - this was one of the first stories I heard of Greek Mythology. Cronus was eating his kids, Zeus survived to overthrow him, and rule. We take a different path to get there, but once we are here, it's fairly rote.

Still, glad I read it and wish the next was out. Slightly reminiscent of The Penelopiad.