The Women Could Fly by Megan Giddings

nuclearself's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

aperrow11's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective medium-paced

Enjoyed the world building of the first half. Fell flat for me during the second half.

micaelatore's review

slow-paced

sharnisreading's review against another edition

challenging emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

mdelao630's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

abbyobsessesoverbooks's review against another edition

I tried the audiobook but I didn't enjoy it. I'm glad I switched to the ebook.

Vibes were great. I struggled with the world building a little bit overall I liked this a lot. Dystopian-ish magical realism vibes.

I especially liked the look at parental relationships and how as adults we have to come to terms with the fact that our parents are human and can be selfish. I haven't read a lot like that and I appreciated it.

beesreadingshelf's review against another edition

adventurous challenging reflective medium-paced

The Women Could Fly follows Jo who has grown up listening to the stories and theories surrounding her mother’s disappearance. therapist theories range between her being kidnapped, her running away to start a new family, that she’s been murdered or that her mother is a witch. In a world where witchcraft is known and those who are accused of witchcraft, especially Black women are put on trial, this theory is worrying. It’s been fourteen years since her mother vanished and Jo is finally ready to let go of the past and look to the future. What stands in the way? therapist fact that the State mandates that all women must marry by the age of 30 or they are forced to enroll in a registry that allows them to be monitored. With the possibility of her losing control of her life, she jumps at the opportunity to connect with her long lost mother’s memory for the last time when she is presented with the one last request from her mother's will.

First of all, I just wanted to say how beautiful the cover is and how it drew me to this book straight away. I genuinely can’t stop staring at it.

I came into this book with a certain expectation and I think that’s something I shouldn’t have done. I always go into fantasy with the idea that something big will happen and it has me holding on for that moment to come, that didn’t happen with this book. The Women Could Fly is definitely more character driven than most fantasy books I read so I think if you were to pick this book up, keep that in mind and have an open mind!

The social commentary that this book had was quite prevalent throughout. It’s no secret that as the years progress, women are losing more of their rights and freedoms every year. Though this is a fantasy book, the racism, misogyny, homophobia and bigotry that occurs are very real elements that today’s society are riddled with. It is a very white heteronormative male world that we live in and I found it interesting to see infused into the story the way it was.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and I would love to check out more works by this author.

triplebriiii's review

It could have been the narrator, it could have been that this focuses less on the dystopian society and more on the relationship between a mother and daughter, but I just don't understand how such an interesting concept could be so fucking boring.

I'm putting this as a me thing, maybe I'll come back to it later when I.... care... more.... about the mother/daughter relationship 😅😅😅

nixter's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective fast-paced

I feel like this book will be hit or miss for most people. I went into it expecting more to happen, but it’s was more of an introspective experience than a plot driven one. The writing style was very reflective and enjoyable the entire time through. I could feel the emotion of the main character and really empathized with her and what she was dealing with. I did find myself waiting for something “big” to happen, but that’s because I went into it misunderstanding the type of story this was. This more aligns with social commentary and the dangers of society as opposed to a fantasy novel. Overall, I very much enjoyed this and the insight it provided.

nerner22's review against another edition