Reviews tagging Suicide

One of Us Is Lying, by Karen M. McManus

kjstormy's review

mysterious medium-paced

I didn't read this book when it was super hyped up and honestly, it was overhyped by a lot. I didn't see the twist coming but that's because I was hoping for a clever twist and it ended up feeling really underwhelming. The antagonist was very one dimensional and in the final confrontation with them I wasn't worried at all. There's also so many side characters and none of them are distinct enough so I kept getting them confused and had to re listen to parts to work out who the characters were. The writing is very basic with a lot more telling than showing.

I did like the 4 main characters though and I did enjoy Coopers individual plot line. I also didn't mind the romances until the end with the very cliche
Spoilerwe need to break up but we'll be back together before the end of the book

paronomaniac's review

dark emotional mysterious sad medium-paced

stephreader14's review

mysterious fast-paced

A fun quick book - I liked the ending and I thought the alternating POVs between the 4 mains was effective. I do wish we got more time with Cooper - it felt like out of all of them we would go the longest time without hearing more than a page from him and how he was doing.

shanban0303's review

emotional funny mysterious fast-paced

Getting into this book took a bit, but towards the beginning  of the middle it just gets so good. I got invested in each of these characters in different ways. And the ending was…. just something I did not at all see coming. Aka the best kind of ending. One of the best books I’ve read recently.

allyhoo811's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

From a pure reading enjoyment factor One of Us Is Lying should have been given a 4 star rating, but because of my background in mental health counseling/education I felt like I had to lower it to a 3 because of the handling of a couple of issues which I'll list at the end of this review.

Overall, I found this to an engaging YA mystery. The characters and their secrets/motives were pretty cliche and easily guessed, but the overall character development (especially with Addy) was wonderful and I would definitely recommend this one to most people. It gave me huge Breakfast Club vibes and I think fans of 80s/90s teen movies would especially enjoy the nostalgia factor even though it has a contemporary setting.

I did not love the ending/epilogue,
Spoilerit was just too cheesy teen rom-com for me and I don't think it really fit with the rest of the book. But I understand that it probably is what was expected in a YA novel.

My 2 Big Issues (contain major spoilers):

Spoiler
1. Simon killing himself was a really interesting (if somewhat predictable) twist, but the portrayal of Simon as someone suffering from depression was unfortunate. Many people (teens included) suffer from depression, but they don't create elaborate, evil revenge plots to take out everyone who ever looked at them funny. Most people with depression have a hard time getting out of bed. And Simon had been destroying people's lives for years, portraying him as someone who was depressed and felt like an outsider when he was actually probably suffering from some severe personality disorders puts a bad light on depression, especially in a YA book.

2. Jake's character arc. This is a thriller trope I hate, and I hate it even more in a YA mystery. Jake the "perfect" boyfriend with some controlling tendances turns into a psycho killer at the end of the novel. This is just so overdone and not logical. Yes, people who attempt to control their partners are more likely to engage in emotional and physical abuse. But Jake had gone months without the slightest indication that he was escalating after he found out about the cheating (and kept it to himself). His mask didn't even slip once. And by the end we have a crazy action sequence where he is trying to kill two people without any hesitation. It felt forced, and I think Addy's character arc would have been better served without the killer boyfriend trope.

bmreads's review against another edition

mysterious fast-paced

katiebookedout's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

lisaelliot's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

epickering's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

cee_reads's review

mysterious tense medium-paced

I loved this book, Karen McManus does an excellent job of keeping the audience on their toes and keeping the evidence perfectly spaced out so it doesn't give away who did it too early. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery and romance and doesn't mind a bit of foul language