Reviews tagging Alcoholism

One of Us Is Lying, by Karen M. McManus

lucytoo's review

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

echo24's review

mysterious tense medium-paced

maggieed's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

leahlovesloslibros's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

How is it that five students walk into detention, but only four make it out alive? That's what Bayview Police are trying to find out after one of five students in detention suffers what investigators are calling a non-accidental death.

After Simon Kelleher dies in detention with only Bronwyn, Addy, Cooper, and Nate present, the four students are totally shaken, and all of them insist that they didn't do it - but the police are convinced that it had to be one of them. That is until the killer starts sending cryptic messages via a Tumblr post. Now, the four unlikely comrades must band together to prove their innocence before one of them is pinned with murder.

This multiple POV story was quick-paced and kept me guessing all the way through. The characters were quirky and definitely had flaws, yet they were still likeable. The high school setting was realistic as well. There were lots of twists in this book, and while I did figure out the killer a little bit ahead of time, I still enjoyed reading about their motives through the end of the story. I had a hard time putting this book down, and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good YA mystery/thriller.

souvlakisuperfan's review

fast-paced

ddfffdsjahahhshsjagdgshabvdhd. the ending definitely got me. i heard some people saw it coming but i definitely did not. this book humbled me; i was wrong the entire time. but it’s easy to be wrong when reading this book, it’s meant to stump you (at least, if you don’t read other teenage-high school-murder mysteries). it was really good right up at the end, when we got the plot twist. i thought it dragged a bit for the last 20-30 or so pages, but that doesn’t matter that much. other than that, i really enjoyed the romance, and i thought the characters all had their positives and negatives. now for my complaints. the writing? bland and juvenile. it’s set in a high school, i know i shouldn’t have expected much, but still i was so disappointed by how cheesy it could be sometimes. why does everyone cheat on each other in this book? (this is not a spoiler, don’t worry lol it’s prevalent right from the start). i wonder, is it to make a certain couple stand out? is it to carry the plot? i’m not sure, but it was really annoying at times (very annoying at times). also, i felt like coopers character wasn’t very rounded out until around the middle of the book. i liked his character after a certain something got revealed, but before that i felt like he was just pure baseball. i don’t like baseball, i’m biased here. to summarize, it’s a nice guilty pleasure read for me. i know it’s a corny stereotypical book but i enjoyed it lol.

kenz_schae's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

lucybmn's review

emotional funny mysterious fast-paced

The teen cliches ABOUND, which made it hard to get into. But I did get sucked in and wanted to know the answer to the mystery. I did guess it, but was never sure if I was right, and definitely didn't figure out every detail.

Also the 4 main characters become so loveable. And the romance was so freakin cute, I can't stand it. 🥲

I'd call this a solid YA mystery!!

miaaa_lenaaa's review

adventurous dark emotional lighthearted tense fast-paced

Probably 3.5
Enjoyable but like incredibly predictable
Literally nothing was a surprise

<SPOILERS>

Also it does feel like cheating that none of them were lying about that but ok
Also fuck u simon
Also really? Everyone is that pressed that she cheated on some tests? Im sorry did her teacher rly not notice that she went from a d to getting 100%?? Thats on him

nams's review against another edition

emotional mysterious tense medium-paced