Reviews tagging Transphobia

One Of Us Is Lying, by Karen M. McManus

brendaxxo's review

emotional mysterious fast-paced

Nate watches them for a few seconds, tilts his chair back, and looks at Officer Budapest. "Everybody's got secrets," he says. "Right?"

my library was sick of me. i kept borrowing the book and letting the loan lapse. for months, something kept me from picking this up. when i finally did, i read this in one sitting. my friends thought i died. three and a half stars.

i loved so much about this book: the premise, the characters (for the most part), but above all, the MESS. whoever said secrets weren’t fun was a damn liar. despite all of this, i have some major qualms with one of us is lying. based solely on my enjoyment, this would have been a four star read! it stirred up the right feelings and kept me curious until the end. however, the writing and the book in general left a lot to be desired.

the ending, the reveal, and the entire mystery was so underwhelming! the bayview four's secrets were honestly not that deep and the reveal was predictable. not that it's a bad thing; i don't think that knowing the outcome ruins a book but the way mcmanus reached the destination felt far fetched, clumsy, and contrived. a character was outed and the author touched upon topics like depression and suicide, all of which were not handled carefully in my opinion.

the romance between nate and bronwyn was a highlight at the start of the book. there was just enough romance to keep you hooked* but not so much that it eclipsed the overarching story... until we reach the end and mcmanus loses the plot. (what the hell was up with the epilogue and that epi-epilogue??)

*we do not acknowledge the cafeteria kiss in this household. i pretend i do not see it.

Spoiler additionally, i would’ve loved it if mcmanus went the extra mile and actually made one of the four we’d come to trust and care about become the murderer or directly involved in the aftermath of simon’s suicide. i never felt tense or questioned if i could truly trust any of the bayview four. that would’ve elevated the story, but she never goes there.

ekmoore11's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

dtretrb's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book wasn't exactly what I expected--I was thinking it would be more mystery-heavy. Not that it didn't involve people trying to solve a murder case, but it was much more focused on the personal lives and character development of the book's main characters than I was hoping for. That was a little disappointing, but I still ended up liking the book for the most part. The main characters had depth, and I didn't hate anyone aside from the characters I was supposed to hate. Overall, this wasn't my favorite mystery I've ever read, but I did end up enjoying it for the most part.

Parts that did annoy me (a bit more spoilery, so I'm sticking them all in a spoiler warning):
Spoiler1. This book basically portrays the police as useless--they can't find any evidence except for incredibly shaky stuff and generally seem pretty incompetent. Of course, I know that police aren't perfect (or even good in many cases), but they should be able to conduct an investigation better than a bunch of teenagers. They literally put someone in jail due to a bit of falsified evidence that these teenagers rightfully point out as being incredibly suspicious. I feel like this is a common thing in teenage-focused mystery novels.
2. Man, those teenagers were horny. They were often either making out with someone or thinking about making out with someone. I mean, that's probably realistic to teenagers, I guess? Not that it took away from the rest of the plot, it's just not something I am particularly interested in, so take my frustration with a grain of salt. I did like the main relationship in the book, though. Those two were fun together.
3. I did not like the breakup at the end. To clarify--I understood why Nate wanted to do it, but it was frustrating because it felt tacked onto the end of the book and he was tuning out everyone who was trying to be on his side. And then we don't get to see any of his perspective from the time he broke up with her to the time when they got back together, so I'm not sure why he decided to fix things. He just got convinced to do it...somehow.

joylynnreads's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced