Breathless, by Jennifer Niven

brookep's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

kitkatpanicattack's review

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

as a girl full of big, messy emotions and even bigger, messier words who is going through her first heartbreak, this was a healing read. my grief, my anger, my confusion, my love--all of it feels seen, heard, and validated.

veehakr's review against another edition

i loved this book sm c: cured my slump

readtotheend's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

Whoa, the emotion in this one!  I think Niven does such a great job writing for the YA audience.  She captures the pressures, emotions and hard choices that teens face.  I really enjoyed All the Bright Places and enjoyed this one equally.  This book has parents separating, friendships changing and sexuality blooming.  Quite the coming of age story.  The island atmosphere was so vivid, I could picture myself getting eaten by mosquitos.  I feel like there were some hiccups in terms of how her relationship with her best friend all played out but overall, I thought this captured the emotions and angst of first loves and starting new chapters so well. I went back and forth in print and audio for this one and found both to be great experiences. Highly recommend.

meeeee's review

I remember reading all the bright places and being really disappointed about it, so I was kinda scared of reading this one but... Thanks I read it, it was everything I needed, fresh, inspiring and just so poetic, she says "It's the book I wish I had when I was 18 " and OMG yes, really happy that it exist for me and other teenagers questioning themselves.

ellieroseb's review

This book made me want to run off to a small island! Despite the book being fairly lengthy compared to what I usually read, I was hooked the whole way through and thoroughly enjoyed it! This is my favourite book by Jennifer Niven which I have read so far. It felt very honest as to what it is like to be a teenager and having to learn to deal with lifechanging events. Claude felt very real and was relatable.

habelhamessafaa's review

This was so good, but not as good as All the bright places and Holding up the universe... maybe bcz i couldn't relate to Claude's. She had her parents separated and her father having a girlfriend.. She had her world upside down bcz of this. and yet she's just a teen girl who wants to be loved and to have sex. ( honestly i was sooo fed up with her saying "it's my body. i can do whatever i want. i can give my virginity away to whom, whenever, wherever i want." i was like OK. ha rab l3ali we get it. There is also Miah whom i could relate to somehow. His parents are separated too, and he had to take care of his family bcz he's the eldest. He's kinda trapped in someone else's life, and is not free to live the life he wants bcz of his responsibility towards his family.
Miah and Claude meet in the island and fall in love with each other, nd by the end they are separated too, unwillingly, but life hits hard sometimes.
I liked the idea of trying again. i mean this book unlike others shows that teens in love may not remain together always forever, yet that teen love will always stay and has its own imprint in one's life.. which is so true.
i like how her mom is just a fighter no matter what, and that she is braver than anyone else. plus, she didn't bore her with her complaining.. i love how strong she faced the separation.
Claude and Saz's friendship.. that i didn't like a lot. i honestly don't like hiding things when it comes to friendship.
the real Claudine that Claude was named after is really an inspiring person. i love her story.
All in all, this book is good. i like it a lot.

talv_loeb's review against another edition

As good as it may be to others, Claude’s drama was not for me or for my liking.

angielikesbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

jennifer niven, you broke my heart and mended it together again. crushingly beautiful, but i’m not recovering at the moment

katherine20's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted relaxing sad medium-paced