Dance of Thieves, by Mary E. Pearson

shaywey's review

I struggled with the first few chapters. I felt like I was missing a part of the story, and was starting the second book in a series without reading the first one beforehand.

I loved every moment and every exchange between Jase and Kazi and seeing this enemies-to-lovers story unfold BUT I hate to say this - I just felt a bit bored at times. Honestly I didn't love this and half the time I was not sure what the plot was. The romance was superb though and Jase is hands down top tier book boyfriend material.

"I want to kiss you, Kazi. And I want you to kiss me back. But this time I don't want it to be because we're only making the best of it. And I don't want a kiss that's for show or has any conditions. I want you to kiss me because you want to. Because you deeply want to. No one's watching now. You can walk away, and I won't say a thing. I promise, I won't ever bring it up."

Will I follow up with [b:Vow of Thieves|34196663|Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)|Mary E. Pearson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1548909404l/34196663._SY75_.jpg|55233949]? I don't know. I don't feel compelled to and I worry that the next book will be boring now that the two main characters seem to have gotten together.

meggeb's review against another edition

slow-paced

eliefenix's review

adventurous emotional slow-paced

radhiha's review

adventurous emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

florie19's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

e_knight's review

adventurous challenging dark slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

DNF - didn’t like the writing style and it felt like I was plopped in the middle of the book instead of the beginning

kateriv's review

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

The beginning was hard to get through, and logistically some things weren't lining up.
Spoiler idk if this is really a spoiler but Jase is described as cold or whatever, and Kazi is like trained military. They fell in love too quickly and maybe it’s cause they “weren’t themselves” in the wilderness but it felt too easy. I guess it’s made up for in their conflicting love story later on but yeah

I would recommend it for the love and the drama but admittedly I didn’t think I’d make it through it.

kpitts's review

this book was so mediocre

g_campins's review

First things first, I have to say that this book is gorgeous. I’m normally more of a kindle reader, but I couldn’t resist buying the hard cover version of this book because of how beautiful it is.

As for the story itself, I thought it was pretty good. Although the characters weren’t terribly well defined, they were like able and fun to root for. Jase and Kazi did get together a little quicker than I would have liked but I guess it worked because of the tormented nature of their relationship that they struggled with throughout the book.

It was kind of heartbreaking watching Kazi grow close to Jace’s family and building relationships with them all while going behind their backs and plotting against them. It was also fun watching Synové and Wren start to fall for Mason and Samuel, which made it that much more shocking to me when they dropped the bomb on the last page about Samuel being dead and Jace’s whole family being in trouble.

All in all, I found this book to be pretty engaging and entertaining and I was able to have a lot of fun with it. It featured duel POVs, which is something that I love, and it had a creative storyline that I haven’t seen before. Because of that, I would rate this book a solid 4/5 stars.

lvzreads's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

It was great but at first it was kind of hard to understand but once I got the hang of it I ended up loving it