The Atlas Six, by Olivie Blake

ebosscher's review against another edition

It felt like reading while wading through syrup. I just couldn't get super into it and needed to return to the library

nikitanavalkar's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I have a thing for secret societies and dark academia, so being in the Atlas Six world was like being in my own personal wonderland. The vibes are scholarly and intellectual and just a lil spooky and overall immaculate. And for once we’re talking about people doing unspeakable things in pursuit of knowledge, pure and simple. Okay not so simple. The book presents a magic system that is inextricably intertwined with science, making the story at times deeply scientific, sometimes philosophical, always magical, and wonderfully nerdy. It tinkers with big questions like the mysteries of the universe and time as a physical or psychological construct but despite all its esoteric meanderings, the author’s writing style is easy to follow and very engrossing, and not lacking in pretty prose.

The titular six are a diverse mix of interesting characters, each with secrets and neuroses, each scary smart and ambitious, and very powerful. All in pursuit of a single goal, which makes them shaky allies at best, sworn enemies at worst. I of course, can’t stop thinking of the empath, who’s ironically the most callous of them all. The most villainous so to speak. All of them are varying shades of grey, but this one has the most sublimely lethal of powers and is the most dangerously aware of his abilities. Being in his head is at once fascinating and disturbing, therefore I was alternately repellant of him and also mildly infatuated with him. Of course I was. It is what it is. The romantic entanglements are complicated to say the least, and extremely confusing. Primarily coz they’re not the focus, but they inform their actions nevertheless, as romance often tends to. And I will always be the reader that looks for and talks about the romance in any book. I won’t say who’s what, but the pair of rivals is as often adorable as they’re at odds. But they’re not necessarily future lovers? I know, hard to compute.

I think I’d have rated this half a star higher with a little more romance, and with maybe a different ending, but there’s still time to see what happens in the next book. One of my favorite parts might be the short story at the end involving a fraught game/assignment shenanigans with Libby and Nico and their long suffering friends.

remaketheworld's review against another edition

adventurous challenging reflective medium-paced

passionsnapping's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

_mkarys's review against another edition

I have an unusual relationship with this book. I liked it and I didn't.

I wasn't a huge fan of the execution, the dense writing, and the long theoretical sequences on magic and science. It took half the book to start seeing some plot and more interesting things between the characters. Also the ending, which in theory is really good, didn't deliver. Instead of discovering the big plot twist alongside the main characters, the characters remain mostly clueless while we, the readers, are explained everything in a final chapter from a different perspective. Where's the fun in that? This way I'll only be looking forward to the characters finding out what I already know, there won't be the thrill of piecing things together.

What saved this book were the characters. Most of them are interesting and complex. The dynamics within the group, the ships that are all over the place, and their interactions were what made me want to continue the book. They're the reason why I'll be picking up the sequel. I'm too invested in them to let them go. See why it's weird? A part of me thinks about this book like an unsatisfied reader, another like a crazy fangirl.

bluebirdreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

marta20's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

emergency_poncho's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

abing's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

izzyjoanna's review against another edition

Fun but it suffered from the lack of red thread which would/could have connected the themes, characters, and storyline. Without this red threat, it feels a bit like a jumbled mess of things the author thought to be clever/snarky.