kammorgan's review

Second time reading it through and I think it’s my fav to read around the new year. It’s a good read and the ideas behind all of his theories are sound and easy to follow- I love the examples and stories he uses throughout the chapters.

“That’s the power of atomic habits. Tiny changes. Remarkable results.”

thecirclek's review

informative inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

I thought that this book was clearly explained in a conversational voice. Some of the tips have already been helping me to build some better habits. I originally borrowed it from the library but realized it was one I wanted to own.

smartysteve30's review against another edition

Man, this book would have been perfect if not for the first 2-3 chapters that feel like a sales pitch for the authors side hussles. Also the last few "advanced tactics" feel and read like the typical self help "work hard" books.

But the middle section was very good on how to start and stick with habits.

aleaa's review

hopeful informative fast-paced

lafita17's review

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

stagasaurus's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this. I'd like to read it again when there isn't a pandemic going on. I've read a lot of productivity self help, and this is one of the better ones. I do have some questions though:

I wonder how this advice (especially regarding human tendencies) would be different for those of us who are not neurologically typical? Is it possible some brains cannot form habits in the same way at all, or some methods would be more beneficial for different types of brains?

What if I'm currently terrible at everything? If I have NO habits, not even bad ones, how do I make my life less chaotic and which habit do I start with? I found I had very little daily timetable cues already occurring, apart from those in nature.

I also wonder if there's an order of habits that we should do, when everything seems to be equally grasping for my attention? Should I focus first on sleep, or income, or my marriage, or my health? Which plate to start spinning first?

I liked the idea of phasing in new habits but I'd like a timeframe for how to do that.

What if you have a habit you are told you must start a new and large series of habits and there isn't supposed to be an option for easing in. For instance starting a new job or study course / doing two hours of physiotherapy a day 15 mins at a time straight after you have surgery? How do you jump in the deep end with habits?

What if I can only seem to maintain a habit if I obsess about it, but as soon as I start a new one, I lose the old one?

amanda_anit's review

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

shinigvmi's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

while the ideas in this book weren’t necessarily new to me as they’ve been repackaged over and over again by different influencers and communities online over the years, I still found it an insightful read! I liked how clear the steps were and that they were always followed by examples. I also like that it wasn’t preachy the way similar non-fiction books like this tend to be. I also appreciated that the author stressed throughout the book that there isn’t a one size fits all when it comes to habit or productivity and that it’s all very dependent on who you are and what your life looks like. This isn’t a book that’s going to give you laid out routine that you need to put into practice, but it’s going to teach you what you need to slowly build your own routine. Of course it’s easier said than done, so we’ll see if I end putting them into practice myself 🥲

carlirae's review against another edition

One of the few self-help books that I've bought and actually finished.

Atomic Habits deeps dives into the topic of habits (which we have all heard plenty of in our lifetimes), however, Clear breaks it down in easy-to-read, unique, and thought-provoking chapters. With a blend of scientific studies and real life stories, the ideas and steps are extremely relateable to everyday life. I think the most valuable aspect that comes from reading Atomic Habits is that it changes your perspective on how you view your habits, cravings, opportunities, and challenges. Not only does the book break this information down, but Clear also provides links to worksheets, tests, and articles to help you along the way. Support to lay down good foundation makes a world of a difference with self-help books.

My recommendation: highlight, notate and tag all over the paperback version (I have a hard time marking up beautiful hardbacks).

“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.”

isabellelabrosse's review

funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective