Reviews for Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie

corireed's review against another edition

2.5 Stars!

What just happened? I left this book feeling like I'm not 100% sure. I pride myself with being able to follow most of the most complicated fantasy plot lines, but apparently that talent doesn't translate to sci-fi. It occurred to me while reading this book that I haven't read much, if any, adult sci-fi that actually takes place in space. Aside from Hitchhiker's Guide, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Basically, I think this book was a bit beyond my sci-fi comfort zone, and although what I did take away from it was very interesting, it made me feel a little baffled.

emteef's review

adventurous fast-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

invertible_hulk's review against another edition

I'm usually not one for sci-fi, and especially not high concept sci-fi, but I thought this book was fantastic. I cant wait to read the other two in the series.

evelikesbooks's review against another edition

I liked it. It's a book about a person who used to be a spaceship! And it's challenging, but not completely bewildering.

millymollymo's review against another edition

For those honing writing skills, read this to see just how well perspective can be put to use as a tool.

I can understand why so many readers find this alienating, why others who appreciate the techniques being used enjoy it so much.
Read it and stick with it, it's worth it.

davidhs90025's review against another edition

I want to say this thing moves at a glacial pace, but that's not quite right. This thing moves at a pace that makes a glacier look like it could out run a cheetah. This is the most boring story of revenge I've ever encountered. Our point of view character is flat. Locations get more descriptive text than any of the characters because the author is trying to do something "interesting" with a society that doesn't place emphasis on gender. If I may borrow from a quote from [a:Roald Dahl|4273|Roald Dahl|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1311554908p2/4273.jpg], she "gobblefunks around with words" so much that what I guess will be an important detail for the series going forward went sailing right over my head until someone pointed it out in a discussion thread. And yes, this is the first book in a series. So, while in the past I've given an point to books that pull out of the nose dive in the last chapter or two, here it feels like the author desperately trying to add something to hook the audience into buying the next one.

It's not a good sign when an author puts the two lead characters in a life threatening situation, and my hope is that we'll get a good enough description of their corpses and the crater they'll leave. I should have listened to my instincts and abandoned the book when that didn't happen.

robarnold's review against another edition

Although the plot and world created in this book are very impressive it did not suck me in. As such I found myself making and effort to get through it instead of looking forward to it. Disappointing but I can see why others may disagree.

birdbold's review

adventurous tense medium-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

jacelevine's review against another edition

It started off slow, but it picked up a lot about halfway through and became a fascinating sci-fi political thriller. At first, the quirk that the main characters do not use gendered pronouns, referring to every character as "she", was confusing and distracting. But in the end, it was an interesting self-reflective device.