Reviews for Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie

scifiandscary's review

Our review is now live on Sci-Fi & Scary (https://www.scifiandscary.com/ancillary-justice-review/)

Teaser:  ‘Ancillary Justice’ is the first in a trilogy effortlessly earns its ‘starred review’ status while installing Ann Leckie as a sci-fi colossus.

julis's review

adventurous challenging fast-paced

[this review shared with the trilogy]
Okay so I picked these up (aka got them for Christmas) because I’d heard that the main culture these take place in has no concept of gender and everyone uses she/her pronouns by Translation Convention, and I, an agender, thought that sounded cool.

As it turns out these books ALSO have a lot of really cool concepts about identity, computers, independence, and politics. They use the gender thing to introduce you to all kinds of ideas about AIs and robot armies.

I loved them.

Sword
has been accused of being the weakest of the three, which I think is from reviewers who didn’t read it in conjunction with Mercy. Initially I thought it was a quiet, character building midpoint novel, but Sword and Mercy really function more as two halves of the same novel, with Justice acting as the prologue.

Of the three, Justice would benefit the most from a reread, as it hinges the most on keeping information from the reader.

Anyway, I’m gay, everyone in this series is gay, the worldbuilding is exceptional and unique, and Breq is adorable.

eoinpurcell's review against another edition

Really enjoyed this slice of sci-fi. Powerful sense of setting and character. Very clever use of multi-perspective but single mind characters to throw the reader into a new experience and to challenge the readers perceptions. Nice plot too, decent action and interesting philosophical questions raised to boot!

vilekstyle's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

oddman's review

challenging emotional slow-paced

orithyia's review

adventurous challenging medium-paced

fluka's review against another edition

A really quite fun and original Sci Fi novel, which I wish I had heard about months ago. While the novel reminds me of the best of Iain M Banks and the Culture (and scratches many of those same space opera itches), it also manages to feel like it's covering new territory. Between the AIs and networked ancillaries, the genderlessness of the characters' dialogue, the Eastern (and statistics?) inspired philosophy and theology of the religion of Amaat, the discussion of class issues, and so much else, I'd gladly read another ten books about the Radch. Whether due to the alienness and subtlety of the culture being described, or due to pacing issues, my only complaint is that the plotting is sometimes confusing and often made me feel like I was missing major plot developments. The world is such a fascinating (and often horrifying) place to spend time in, though, that these are small complaints.

kpharoah's review

adventurous challenging mysterious slow-paced

allriane's review against another edition

Just finished reading it for the second time:

I love this book with my whole heart. When I first read it, it restored my faith in sci-fi. I’m insanely excited to read the rest of this series.

Ancillary Justice has just about everything I enjoy in a book - adventurous locales, brave characters, political intrigue, even romance that I actually liked. It’s got spaceships and aliens and AI and heart to the core. I already can’t wait for whenever I read it again.

firesoulbird's review

I enjoyed this book - the way it's told through alternating flashbacks and current events help flesh out the story, however, I didn't love it. The reason is that Breq is not a person, but an AI type deal. (It's a little more complicated than that, but...) I just can't connect emotionally to robot/AI characters very often. At any rate, the book covers a number of themes such as class issues.

Leckie does an interesting thing where the culture in this book does not actually have gendered pronouns. So the pronoun is translated as she throughout the book.