These Toxic Things, by Rachel Howzell Hall

bigbooklife's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

marblemenow's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

ardenruth's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

seluxes's review

dark hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

I because a huge fan of Howzell Hall after reading her take on And Then There Were None, but I just made it back to another book by her due to taking a mystery novel break. The middle is a little uneven and I could've done without all of the man problems had by the main character, but neither issue took anything away from the explosive last quarter—highly recommended.

ceeceetee's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

allthebooksandi's review

dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

jbrendanshaw's review against another edition

Fun mystery with fully realized characters, a little busy with side plots.

jody_is_booked's review

4 stars… maybe 3.5

bookishcatsavant's review

Thank you to the author & Booksparks for gifting me a personalized copy!
———
The main protagonist, Mickie, is a digital archeologist who creates digital scrapbooks out of items and trinkets that hold sentimental value to people during their lifetimes. Mickie gets recruited by an older lady, Nadia, a curio shop owner of the most eccentric things, to create a digital scrapbook out of 12 mementos that Nadia chooses. However mere hours after Nadia messages Mickie to visit her again, Nadia dies of suicide.

While cops investigate Nadia’s death, Mickie can’t help feeling something is terribly wrong with Nadia’s death. Nadia’s son doesn’t seem to act very normal either but Mickie also can’t help falling for him. As she continues preparing Nadia’s digital scrapbook even after Nadia’s demise, Mickie starts investigating each memento and their source. Soon, Mickie learns that her piling discoveries not only cost others’ lives but is highly likely to bring her own downfall.

Honestly, this is the most unique thriller I’ve read! For this most original idea of a thriller, this book deserves all the stars! There were 5 major characters and all of them were really etched out superbly and evoked so many different feelings in me. Also, Mickie’s parents get my vote for Parents Of The Year, and you’ll know why once you read the book! The ending was just utterly mind-blowing! I will safely bet with you that you will not guess that ending!!
This is my first book from this author and certainly won’t be the last!

I really loved her captivating writing style and I’m sharing below 3 non-spoiler quotes that I love so much!

ramblinhamlin's review

Synopsis:
Mickie Lambert creates digital scrapbooks and has a client, Nadia, who wants her to curate some old items in her shop. When Nadia dies from under mysterious circumstances, Mickie decides to honor the woman by continuing to curate the items. When Mickie starts receiving death threats, it seems these trinkets mean something to someone else too and that she should stop digging into their history.

My Thoughts:
While this was a slow build novel, I also couldn't put it down. I really thought the digital scrapbooking was a nice touch to add to the story and found it both clever and unique. The story has all the pieces of a great thriller: stalking, cold cases and serial killers. There were a few twists I didn't see coming and a few that were pretty obvious. All in all this is a pretty solid read and I highly recommend you check it out.

Thank you BookSparks for the gifted copy