The Lawrence Browne Affair, by Cat Sebastian

honeypossum_reads's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

prgchrqltma's review against another edition

Characters: eccentric inventor, con man turned secretary
World Building: telegraph
Plot: elude and defeat criminal boss, cope with mental issues, create family
Sex: medium
Read another: Yes

I like these, and I'm fascinated that Avon is putting them out.

steiner's review against another edition

There was a lot to like in this book but it didn't entirely take off for me.

I liked the image of the decaying house gradually being brought back to life but I feel like I have read the story of the eccentric scientist a lot. The gayness brought some new twists to it but it still felt like a well trodden path.

I found it odd that the sexual tension was extended by simply cutting away from scenes. I found this a bit jarring. The heat level was fairly low..

stephanieleary's review against another edition

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE so good!

millenia's review

emotional hopeful slow-paced

lexiecon's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

leslie_kent's review against another edition

⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Stars. Rounding up.

I’m reading these completely out of order. It doesn’t seem to matter much if you are wanting to do the same. While I liked book three more than this, I’m still rounding up and giving this one four stars too. Rounding down didn’t seem the right way to go in this case. There was lots to like. But I’ll say that for me, book three is a solid four stars and this one a solid three and a half.

Book three was steamier and sexy and had that pinch of enemies to lovers which is my catnip. This one was more sweet and romantic. Nothing wrong with that.

Lawrence and Georgie were two easy to like characters. While Lawrence seemed grumpy and growling, my heart immediately hurt for him with his anxiety and fear of going mad like his family. As someone who suffers from anxiety and some agoraphobia, I can’t imagine what it would feel like to go through that back then without the advances in medicine and therapy that have developed since. So I found him easy to care for and was as protective of him as Georgie.

I’d say this was on the high end of low steam or the low end of medium.

fannypza's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this, as much as the first in the series! Summer happened, with travel and visits and a heatwave and along the way I forgot to finish this, so I was a bit lost when I picked it back up, but I really liked the main characters and the way their relationship developed. I also enjoyed the fact that there wasn't a massive conflict, and that everything was resolved in a quick and believable way.

eemilycolleen's review

i want cat sebastian to write a romance novel about me

aspinsterlibrarian's review against another edition

2,5/5. Hmm, the premise itself was interesting, but something about this left me cold. The audiobook narrator wasn't my favourite (not bad, but maybe a bit too monotone).