Reviews for The Upside of Unrequited, by Becky Albertalli

hnagle15's review against another edition

Ehhh I feel bad because everyone seems to love this and I didn't? Did I miss something?
**Should note I'm also not the biggest fan of YA contemporary but read this due to all the hype.

First of all, A+ for representation that was natural and well done. Sometimes I feel like authors throw in an Asian friend to say they did, but the many characters in this book didn't feel thrown together just for the sake of it.

I also found Molly's anxiety to be really realistic, especially when considering my own. The way she obsessed over what many would call "minor details" was really accurate in portraying how big they feel to the person contemplating them.

I didn't really enjoy the multitude of pop-culture references, mostly because I think they don't age well. For example, many people criticize the amount of 80's references in Ready Player One and I worry the same will happen with this.

I also found the characters difficult to connect with, while Molly's anxiety mirrors my own - that's where the connection ended.

candycain's review

funny informative lighthearted tense medium-paced

novelbloglover's review against another edition

Book Review
Title: The Upside of Unrequited
Author: Becky Albertalli
Genre: YA/Romance/Contemporary
Rating: ****
Review: The opening of The Upside of Unrequited was, we are introduced to Molly Peskin-Suso and her twin sister Cassie at a club where they meet Mina and Molly knows instantly that Mina is the kind of girl Cassie would date unlike herself who has had 26 crushes and not a single boyfriend or kiss. I think this could be related to the fact that Molly is insecure about the way she looks especially where her weight is concerned. One thought I did have in these opening chapters was how the hell can you fit so much rep in? Like seriously we have Jewish characters, lesbian characters, sperm donor babies, POC and much more. After the night in the club Cassie is trying to set Molly up with Mina’s friend Will, but after starting a summer job she meets Reid who she isn't necessarily attracted to but really liked as a person.
As we approach the ¼ mark in the novel, the friendship group between the female character is bloody hilarious and I was cracking up at the bikini wax conversation. However, there are more serious notes underlying all this humour, the main ones being Molly fear of being alone and unwanted. The second being the fact that Molly is slightly ashamed of her virginity as she is the last one in the group to be a virgin and single. While Molly doesn't have a boyfriend she is a normal teenage girl and has the same hormonal urges as any another girl. One thing I was really liking about this novel so far is that all the situations and conversations are so real they could literally happen at any point which is very refreshing in YA. Molly is beginning to feel left behind by the others and they make her anxiety worse making jokes at her expense although she is too polite to say anything. However, she feels humiliated when Mina invited them all over only to boot Molly out with Max and Will to make out with Cassie as planned. I really understand where Molly's emotions are coming from, but she hasn't ever given a single person the opportunity to prove her wrong about her insecurities.
As we cross the ¼ mark in the novel, Molly is getting on well with Reid at work and is even developing a crush on him. She even confides in him about finding out Cassie and Mina are saying through Facebook rather than from her sister. While Molly feels quite upset by this she has decided that the next crush she has she is going to take a chance by actually telling the person she likes them. There is also a huge upside when Molly learns that same sex marriage has been legalized do her moms are getting married in the summer, but something about the whole situation with Cassie isn't sitting right with Molly.
As we approach the halfway mark in the novel, Molly is feeling very conflicted as she has some affectionate feelings towards Will but seems to have a full-blown crush on Reid, coupled with the fact her sister is falling in love and she feels like she is being pushed out of the friendship group, Molly is very conflicted.
As we cross into the second half of the novel, Molly officially decided that she has a crush on Reid and even gets into an argument with Cassie over the fact that she doesn’t want to hang out with Mina or date Will, but things aren’t as smooth as they seem as the beautiful Olivia becomes single and she also seems to have a connection with Reid and the first thing Molly thinks is that she needs to beat Olivia off.
As we approach the ¾ mark in the novel, Molly is really torn up over the fact that Reid and Olivia are really hitting it off and she ends up making a fool of herself, but she finally manages to get up the courage to tell Reid how she feels even if it is through text. I also really liked how Will was into Mina the whole time and is in the same position as Molly and can probably understand how she feels better than anyone.
As we cross into the final section of the novel, I realised that Molly and Reid are the most adorable thing ever, I was really sceptical going into this novel, but this totally blew me away. I kind of wished they got together sooner so I could see more of their relationship. But the most interesting thing about the Upside of Unrequited is how it doesn’t focus on one type of relationship, it includes romantic relationships, relationship between parents and children, between siblings and between friends. It also has heavy themes of sexuality, finding yourself and homophobia which made this a quite and easy read for me.

amelaedina's review against another edition

Ughhhh. Loved this so much! Felt myself relating to Molly a lot. I also loved how diverse and inclusive this book is!!! Nadine and Patty gave me big Lena/Stef vibes from The Fosters! I thiiiiiink I may have preferred this slightly more to Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda!

tatteredpages's review against another edition

cute as usual, no idea why i didn’t read this sooner

caro_rux's review against another edition

08/10/2018

Becky Albertalli did I it again! So far I’ve read all three books of hers and I’ve never been disappointed. I’m absolutely in love with her characters and especially her writing! There are some things I disliked but I actually don’t care, for some odd reason. I’m just so happy and full of joy when I’m reading on of her books and I couldn’t stop smiling!

antoniasxn's review against another edition

"I don't entirely understand how anyone gets a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. It just seems like the most impossible odds. You have to have a crush on the exact right person at the exact right moment. And they have to like you back. A perfect alignment of feelings and circumstances. It's almost unfathomable that it happens as often as it does."

Did I just read this book in 2 sittings? Yes I did. And the only regret I have is that this book is over now. But honestly I will definitely reread. I loved Simon vs. The Homosapiens Agenda so so much, I was incredibly excited about Becky Albertalli's new release. And it was even better than I expected! Molly is just soooo relatable having the exact struggles I had when I was in high school and I still have sometimes. I think the government should force any teenager to read this, honestly. Definitely one of my favorite books now! I love it!

izzythebooklover's review against another edition

Actual rating: 4.5

I related a lot with this book and the main character. There were quite a few passages which really resonated with me. I'm definitely not like Molly in certain aspects, but I related to her a lot. I'm just going to leave here two of the passages that really hit home and made me love this book so much and nod my head in agreement.

“ I don’t entirely understand how anyone gets a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. It just seems like the most impossible odds. You have to have a crush on the exact right person at the exact right moment. And they have to like you back. A perfect alignment of feelings and circumstances. It’s almost unfathomable that it happens as often as it does.”

Same Molly. Same.

“ [... ] I know it's not a competition, but I can't help but feel like I'm falling further and further behind. ”

The exact same thought that goes through my head every time I look around me and see people doing stuff like kissing, dating, falling in love, etc. Sometimes I even feel like there's a list with things that I need to check off before it's too late. It's stupid, I know. And it's never too late. But I guess it gets hard when you want something so much and know you have no chance. I don't know how love works. I'm pretty certain no one's ever liked me and sometimes I wonder if it's me, though deep inside I know that's a bullshit thing to think about.

The thing is, I don't know how it is to have a twin. Much less a sister. I don't know shit about crafts or being judged just because your weight doesn't match society's fucked up beauty standards.
But I know one thing. I know how it feels to want something to happen so desperately, to watch the people around you get into relationships and think you're falling behind.
But you're not.
I'm not.

This book was so great and I have a feeling I will still think about it years from now. And one day, who knows maybe I will get how it feels to be in a relationship. Maybe one day, I will look at this book and smile and remember Molly's story. And I'll remember Reid too.

dozzah's review against another edition

This was such a meh book :( I'm sad because Simon is one of my absolute favourites and this book just did not live up to my expectations! It's probably to do with the time of my life I'm in but this just fell flat for me

xnzfl's review against another edition

I downloaded this e-book to read on a flight, thought: "Let me just check to see if it downloaded properly," and ended up reading until 3 AM instead. It's cute, funny, diverse, and relatable. I mean, with tons of unrequited crushes and a fixation on Lin-Manuel Miranda, I basically was Molly when I was seventeen.