Dial A for Aunties, by Jesse Q. Sutanto

bookblonde's review

funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

I describe this as "Crazy Rich Asians" told from the wedding planners point of view with a "Weekend at Bernie's" twist. This was a light hearted romp from start to finish. The whole concept is improbable from start to finish, but thats what I found so enjoyable from start to end. It was also a fun peak into the culture of the family.

meleaglestone's review against another edition

It always disappoints me when I delve into what feels like what should be an easy read and it just turns out to be awful. I hate giving one star reviews but this was truly terrible. Boring plot, basic characters and the comedy just fell flat. Would be much better off as a screenplay for a film rather than a book.

sarithaann's review

This book had some funny moments but tried way to hard to be slapstick and many times the jokes just did not land. I enjoy comedy but this book just became so ridiculous in some of its character behavior and reactions that it became more fantasy than comedy grounded in reality.

juliettenicole's review

5 ⭐️

I listened to this book as an audiobook and I laughed out loud multiple times! The narration was amazing, the aunties were so extremely funny, I couldn’t help myself.

I also really liked the story, to learn more about different cultures, backgrounds and the wedding extravaganza, obviously. A real joy, with a lot of tension, because of the corpse, of course, which I really did enjoy.

I liked this so much, that I’ll be starting book 2 right away. It’s narrated by the same person, which is amazing, so I’m gonna dive right in. Definitely encourage to listen to this book, it’s amazing.

linxed's review

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

barb_mota's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

kristymarie's review against another edition

funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

shabrinareads's review

It's so funny and CHAOTIC. A perfect combination of murder mystery, rom com, and family drama. I love the characters so much. It captures the dynamic between Meddy, her Ma, and her aunties perfectly.

dara_z's review

This book manages to be hilarious and boring at the same time??
But honestly, aunties antics are A++, but I had to skim Meddy's thoughts a lot.
Great material for a movie tho, apparently is being adapted by Netflix.

alexandra2315's review

I enjoyed this book soo much! I was irritated couple times but I understand that it was done to get the story some conflicts.
This book was so much fun! I laugh so much! I don’t remember when I read a book and laughed so many times.
I wish they will take this book and make this as a movie because it would be the greatest rom-com EVER!