Where Hope Comes From: Poems of Resilience, Healing and Light, by Nikita Gill

internationalreads's review

emotional hopeful inspiring

musingsbymichelle's review against another edition

During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, poet Nikita Gill captures, the heartache, loss, hope, and other hosts of emotions that people experienced. In Gill's classic ethereal style, she weaves together a powerful collection of poems and artwork to honor those we have lost due to this pandemic and to acknowledge the pain that isolation brought during lockdown. I think many people will empathize with and find comfort in her words.

*I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Hachette Books in exchange for an honest review. I am giving this review voluntarily and all thoughts are my own.

nellieh's review

hopeful reflective relaxing medium-paced

trudyjeanne7's review

emotional reflective fast-paced

kayla_thebookishmama's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

I never like to declare books as my favorites, but this is easily one of my favorite poetry collections. It perfectly captures all of the feelings you may have experienced during 2020. The fear, the tragedy, the uncertainty of it all. But then, it gave so much hope. Nikita Gill paints this masterpiece of hope and grief, brokenness, and resilience. Even now, as our normal is so different than it was prior to the pandemic, her words give us direction and sparks of light to cling to. I also liked that she wrote on the BLM movement and not just the pandemic.

If you need hope, or a push towards living in kindness, read this book.

shelby1994's review against another edition

Nikita Gill has a talent for taking the magical and meta elements of our natural world and synthesizing them into scenarios and conversations that impact how we see each other as humans. Gill is at her strongest when she is at her most abstract; the "Daily Mantras," were a highlight of this poetry collection, and I even jotted one down to keep at my desk. I wish there had been a little more of cosmic abstraction in this book. I sympathize with a poet wanting to write poetry about the coronavirus lockdown, but depending on how the pandemic impacted you, or what restrictions were like where you lived, you might not connect with the situations described in the book.

shelby1994's review against another edition

scseward's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

storiesandsidequests's review

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

Nikita Gill has been one of my favorite contemporary poets since I stumbled across her collection Fierce Fairy Tales several years ago. Where Hope Comes From is her collection of poems written during the pandemic that captures the struggles of loneliness and sense of loss, but also the pervasive hope that keeps us going.

The structure of the book is woven around the lifecycle of a star to split the poems into sections. I thought that was an interesting way to structure it, though I didn't consciously take much note of the way each section of poems were connected. I enjoyed the series of mantras and the fact that they were well spaced throughout the book also to avoid them becoming repetitive.

The poems included in this collection painted an accurate and lyrical portrayal of life in lockdown and put into words many of the emotions and circumstances I've personally experienced during the pandemic.

While I sometimes find pandemic reflections tiresome at this point in time, these were quite the opposite. Gill manages to capture the dark feelings she experiences in a way that is relatable and does not feel self-pitying. Her words also encourage the reader to remain hopeful in a way that is approachable without being patronizing.

I found this best to dip into for a few minutes throughout the day. I've already revisited several of the passages I bookmarked on days I needed extra encouragement and I can't wait until this is released in the US so I can get my hands on a physical copy.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hachette Books a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

eef8's review against another edition

These poems were like a blanket for my soul and a warm hug for my heart. This was so soothing in a time where we could all definitely use some hope. 100% recommend!