Run, Rebel, by Manjeet Mann

diya_g's review

challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

emrysreads's review

CW// Abuse
I learnt a lot from this book about how complicated abuse can be, and how the large divide between genders is in some communities. I liked the structure of the stages of a revolution and the verse format. However, I found the main character, Amber, to be unlikeable. Although we understand her situation, she never explains it to her friends, who continue to like her despite her actions like how she bullies someone. To me, it felt a bit like she's the main character so of course people like her without much reasoning behind it. I also didn't like how she scrutinised other girls for being feminine, and at one point was literally described as "not like other girls."

admiralsmall's review

A very interesting book, the little imperfections in it were mostly just my personal preference, (slightly cheesy acrosstic poems). It was so painful in parts, but sometimes in four lines, Mann would do what most writers cannot accomplish in four chapters. There are poems from this books I would like to frame and hang on my wall. And as an angry, unhappy teenager this book would have been a bible. It is wonderful.

swalls95's review

Lyrical and powerful. Heart wrenching but hopeful YA book written in poetic verse. The audiobook is great and Amber really came alive through the audio narration.

This book follows Amber , a young Asian girl with a passion for running but her home life is destructive with her controlling dad leaves her uncertain of what lies in the future.

This book highlights and discusses many topics including:

Immigration
Woman’s identity in the Pakistani community
Bullying

#ownvoices

idreamofallthebooks's review

Though I am not normally a fan of verse fiction, I couldn’t help but become swept away into the anger, frustration and hope of Amber Rai. To fight against the ideals woven into the very fabric of her being since birth was no small undertaking, and to see her rise alongside her mother and sister created such a strong sense of hope and desire for a better life.

Thank you @penguinbooksaus and @penguinteenaus for gifting me this book to read!

monray's review

dark fast-paced

hellohannahw's review

The last three novels I've read have been in poetry and this was definitely the one that handled the poetry aspect the best. I really felt that the poems felt relavent and they added clarity to the book. I did find the romance between Amber and David to feel a little lacklustre and boring at times and think if they'd just been friends it would have been just as powerful. The relationships between Amber and her mum, Ruby or Gemma were very well written and I think the merits of this book heavily outweigh the negatives. I did find the first quarter of the book to be a little boring so my advice to anyone starting reading it would be to carry on.

karen1usher's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

basicquartz's review

CW: Alcoholism, domestic abuse
Characters: Amber, her best friends David and Tara (a crystal fix), her parents, her sister Ruby
Plot: Amber lives with her two parents. She and her mother need to escape (or "rebel") from her abusive husband. Meanwhile, Amber struggles with letting go of resentment towards an old friend, Gemma, feeling left out by her friends Tara and David, her crush on David, wanting to compete in track 200m against her father's wishes and missing her sister Ruby who moved out to an arranged marriage. This novel explores issues related to feminism, gender roles and honour killings and racism as Amber is Indian, and she feels the disappointment of not being a boy while being shamed for hanging out with friends and running.
Opinion: Some of these poems were very hard-hitting and impactful, and is a structurally interesting choice to portray trauma and systemic issues. However some of the poetry was not as powerful.

leola7's review