Reviews tagging Domestic abuse

Run, Rebel, by Manjeet Mann

emrysreads's review

CW// Abuse
I learnt a lot from this book about how complicated abuse can be, and how the large divide between genders is in some communities. I liked the structure of the stages of a revolution and the verse format. However, I found the main character, Amber, to be unlikeable. Although we understand her situation, she never explains it to her friends, who continue to like her despite her actions like how she bullies someone. To me, it felt a bit like she's the main character so of course people like her without much reasoning behind it. I also didn't like how she scrutinised other girls for being feminine, and at one point was literally described as "not like other girls."

laurynjane's review

weblet's review

dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

Emotional complexity in verse form and driven by the stages for a political revolution studied in history.  Insightful definition of privilege.

medievaljenga's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful sad tense fast-paced

jamesflint's review

witchymint's review

challenging emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

laylamckane's review

challenging emotional hopeful medium-paced

<i>trigger warning for domestic abuse</i>

I listened to the audiobook version of this book which is performed by the author and I am so glad I chose this version. Run, Rebel is a novel in verse and hearing it spoken, sometimes whispered, made the words truly come alive.

It's a gut-wrenching and heartbreaking story of abuse and rebellion, running and hope. Amber, the main character, felt so real. I wanted nothing more than reach into the book and give her a hug. Her fear and anger are palpable in every word and I think this is where the poetry really shines. It gives emotions a shape and sound that I could feel in my bones with words that hit like punches.

The different narrative threads and the character development were handled masterfully, bringing every arc to a conclusion that felt organic and satisfying. I especially appreciated how the topic of domestic abuse was handled, the book offers what felt like a very nuanced and realistic portrayal of the emotional trauma that comes with that experience. It doesn't sugarcoat anything or pretends that getting out of an abusive situation is magically going to fix everything. It acknowledges that rebellion is a privilege and not everybody is in a position to just walk away. It also didn't shy away from showing Amber make some truly terrible choices and lashing out at other people as a result of her trauma. Infuriating to read, but real.

Lastly, while it did take me a few chapters to get into the flow of the book, I loved the structure. After learning about the structure of rebellions in history, the rest of the story follows that arc, intertwining these steps with Amber's own personal rebellion.

lauraanne's review

dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

rackle's review

emotional hopeful informative reflective sad fast-paced

jamierose's review

challenging emotional hopeful fast-paced
Very powerful but while it's a quick read, being in verse, it's not always an easy read because of the heavy topics it tackles