Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories, by Lauren Groff

amcg's review against another edition

unfortunately, i hate my literature class with a burning passion, and "delicate edible birds" was the most recent book caught in the crossfire of our guerilla war. a loathsome title filled with revolting prose, i hated my way through every letter of this plodding book. each sentence felt like an eternity. rape isn't romantic or bookworthy. it's vile and sickening and i plan to duel my horrid pretentious professor for forcing us to suffer through his wretched, depraved little pile of gory books. aren't there better things to write about than sex and rape? aren't there better things to read about?

bookslucyreads's review against another edition

This collection of short stories wasn’t for me. I didn’t really enjoy the writing style which is what made me lower my rating.

susanm_82's review against another edition

You all know I love a good Lauren Groff book! These short stories are perfect for a time in which I’m having trouble sticking to long form (except for Tana French - shoutout!). They’re all focused on women and I loved nearly all of them. Lauren Groff’s books all seemed to be tinged with sadness but in a way that makes them more approachable and more intriguing not less. I liked that these stories weren’t tied to a particular time or place but more of a feeling in my mind. Great collection.

drmarti's review against another edition

Thought this collection was somewhat uneven. I think "Blythe" was my favorite - did the best job of telling a full and complex story in a few pages.

becsal's review

took me forever, wasn’t really that interested at first but once I sat down with it I enjoyed it. Groff does a really good job creating complicated characters and vivid stories. She ends the stories just in the right place, leaving you thinking and unsettled but in the best way.

ariamacmeix's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective tense slow-paced

ctownill's review against another edition

Groff writes stories that ache. Every story kept me fully rapt. Some stories do employ similar themes/character traits, but instead of feeling bored or expected, each new character felt deserving of it. What a beautiful collection.

kittyburritoland's review against another edition

3.5 stars. Liked some, didn't like others.

pearseanderson's review against another edition

Holy shit, Lauren Groff does it again. This is a collection of LONG short stories that tend to cover the lives and relationships middle-class women have with each other, and how men can change this rhythm and distort it. Groff pulls this off with swagger and charm. Her hyperspecific use of detail, present but low symbolism, and brilliant characterization make this one of the best books I have read this year. Every story does something great with such scale and originality! So many interesting characters, from the ambassador at the beginning to the terrifying imagined Sammy character in "Fugue." I cannot recommend this enough, and after this and the American Short Fiction issue, will be adding Groff's name to my list of inspirations/role models/person to immediately read when stuff comes out (like Florida). Wow woow wooow.

Connection: I will be working with/around Lauren Groff this summer at the Tin House Summer Workshop!

scarpuccia's review against another edition

I love Lauren Groff's writing, her way with words. I'd say the writing in these stories is perhaps more exciting than the stories themselves. Not that the stories aren't riveting. Or some of them.

They are all fairly long and focus principally on the dilemmas of women. She shows herself to be versatile in terms of setting and period - one story takes place in France in 1940, another during Spanish flu epidemic in the second decade of the 20th century and another in an unnamed country at an unnamed date where there's a dictatorship (the one dud in the collection for me).

A criticism might be that her men aren't as richly imagined as her women.

A solid 4+ stars.