Reviews tagging Child death

One of Us Is Next, by Karen M. McManus

henry_1906's review against another edition

mysterious tense medium-paced

2 hours 33 minutes - A decent mystery novel, not quite up to the standards of the first in the series. I like the change in characters - using background characters from the previous novel is a good way of preventing a needless sense of repetition. Some characters I absolutely loved, particularly Knox, while others I could never quite get to grips with, such as Phoebe. The plot could have been better - it didn't really live up to its predecessor nor its blurb, and there is still the unrealistic 'every teen has 'life-ruining' secrets'. Out of context, it is an enjoyable enough book, but with the knowledge of the first book, it is a little disappointing, and could have been more.

larabezzina's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

witcheslovingwitches's review

mysterious tense medium-paced

foldsea's review

informative mysterious fast-paced

matildereadsbooks's review

challenging funny hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

I loved it !! It was hard to get into at first, but after a while I couldn't put it down. It was predictable at all, in my opinion, and had me shocked the entire time. I'm mad it ended on a cliffhanger:(( ... but i cant wait for the new one, if theres going to be one. 4/5, recommend

thecourtofreading's review

mysterious tense slow-paced

shaunaxx's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

b_readss's review against another edition

funny mysterious relaxing tense fast-paced

lilythebibliophile's review

mysterious slow-paced

I am noticing more and more that Karen M. McManus' books, especially the ones she published in 2020 (The Cousins and One of Us is Next) rely heavily on mundane details as filler for the story. The amount of times a character will "fill a glass half full" before drinking it or turn the light switch on or tap a few buttons on their phone is truly astonishing. Some monotonous tasks can be necessary for the story, but I felt like I was reading about these pointless details because McManus couldn't find anything else to put into the story to get the readers from Point A (the crime) to Point B (the culprit/unmasking). McManus comes up with these amazing plot ideas, and then readers are left floundering around, watching the characters talk about nothing and do nothing until the climax of the book. I did think the solution to the mystery was satisfying and not too predictable, and the same goes for all of her other works (except One of Us is Lying, ironically). Yet I can't remember anything important that occurred after the inciting incident and before the climax, except maybe two bread crumbs for who the mastermind behind the game and the murder is.
Also, I wholeheartedly feel that representation is important, but reading about Maeve's culture and knowing the book was written by a white woman made me feel weird. I hope she used sensitivity readers.
I never go into a McManus book looking for character development, but The Cousins showed slightly more development than her other works, so I was hopeful for this one. I shouldn't have been. None of the characters developed at all, except maybe Knox, but it was such cookie-cutter and one-dimensional development that I don't think it should count.
The romances in all of McManus' books are also so generic that at points I literally thought Maeve was dating Knox and Phoebe was dating Luis instead of the other way around. I feel like McManus pairs up her characters for no reason other than "kids like reading romance, right?" I didn't ship any of the relationships, and that's coming from me, one of those kids who likes reading romance. It sounds strange to say the characters had no chemistry when I'm talking about a book, but they didn't. I couldn't understand why the characters were supposed to be good romantic counterparts to each other.
One last thing: aside from a few minor crossover characters (the Bayview Four appear in the book occasionally) and Maeve, there didn't seem to be a reason for making this a sequel to One of Us is Lying. Maeve could have been any other teen and the new gossip game had nothing concrete to do with Simon except for one throwaway line. If Simon got attention simply because of his app and not because of him, the high school doesn't need to have a history with Simon's gossip app in order for teens to pay attention to the new game. It felt like McManus took an unrelated plot idea and decided to write a sequel to profit off of her previous success. Which I get. Go get it, girl.
Did I enjoy this book? Sometimes. Are there better mysteries, even better books by Karen M. McManus, out there? Absolutely.

booksiread_'s review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced

I was pretty disappointed by One of us is lying, but this book was so much better! It had multiple plot twist and I also liked the main characters more. It really is a good mysterious read.