Zafiro, by Kerstin Gier

giuls02's review against another edition

Secondo libro della trilogia. L'ho apprezzato molto più del primo, forse perché più movimentato e a metà libro succedono casini su casini che mi hanno fatta rimanere incollata alle pagine.
I momenti tra Gwendolyn e Xemerius mi fanno sbudellare dal ridere.
In certi momenti ho odiato Gideon per come si comportava con Gwen.
E con l'ultimo capitolo non vedo l'ora di scoprire cosa succederà!

moonb's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious

bogdana_the_booknerd's review against another edition

Sapphire Blue is the second book in the Ruby Red Trilogy, also known as the Precious Stone Trilogy. Just like I did with the first book in the trilogy, Ruby Red, I would like to start the review by addressing the beautiful covers. Both the paperback and hardcover are designed beautifully, however, I prefer the hardcover. The colors are again very vibrant and deep, and the intricate design around the front cover is very elegant. The blue marks in the design are raised and they are made to look and feel like sapphires.
As always, I will try to keep the review spoiler free, so some of my statements will be very vague. Book two starts exactly where Ruby Red left off and the story was easy to follow. With this book, we do get a few questions answered; however, it also seems that for every answer we get, there are more questions that arise. There are new riddles introduced that will have your head spinning theories and second guessing every character. Besides Gwen, I never know who I can trust in this series.
Gwen as a character develops even more in book two. She handles herself quite well, she is considerably grounded given the situation she finds herself in. One of the most frustrating things for her (and for me as I was reading) is the secrecy. She is expected to fulfill a mission, but no one trusts her enough to provide her with information needed to successfully complete the mission. She is always given bits and pieces of information while all the adults around her, who are supposed to help her, are keeping vital information back. She still has her best friend Lesley, who as always is great at research and digging up things for Gwen. The bond and trust between the two friends is written so beautifully. The friendship between them is so powerful and trusting. Lesley never doubts what Gwen is saying, even when she talks about ghosts and gargoyles that no one else can see. In addition to James, the very charming ghost we were introduced to in Ruby Red, in Sapphire Blue we meet Xemerius; a gargoyle demon, which again no one except Gwen can see. Lesley soon finds a way to use him for their cause. With so many secrets being kept from Gwen, Lesley suggests they use Xemerius to their advantage. He not only proves to be very useful in listening in on meetings and conversations that Gwen is left out of and then conveying that information back to the girls, he also helps Gwen with things she must learn about different time periods. I absolutely adored Xemerius in this book; he provided a lot of comedic relief to some of the most intense situations throughout the book.
One thing that I wasn’t expecting was the frustration I felt towards Gideon in this book. I believe the author is really trying to show character growth in him. In my opinion most of his faults can be attributed to the way he was raised. I think the ideas of his uncle in regards to women, in particular the Montrose women, have influenced him. I truly believe that out of all the characters in the trilogy we will get the most character growth in him by the conclusion of the trilogy. He has a long way to go and lots of readers to win over; still I believe in him. I think a lesson to be learned in this series is that while children are heavily influenced by the beliefs and attitudes instilled in them by the people raising them, they can overcome that and decide on their own what is right and what is wrong. I had to constantly remind myself that he is only 18 and thus still maturing. As I said, I believe in him and I am looking forward to his journey.
Just like with Ruby Red, one piece of advice I have is to make sure as you read along, to bookmark the family trees, because they are complex and you will want to refer back to them as additional clues are revealed.
I am looking forward to reading Emerald Green, the final book in the trilogy!

cpaddor's review against another edition

Really good and left me wanting more!

chocolatelibrary's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious relaxing fast-paced

kirjakookos's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

johanne_summer's review against another edition

Esta saga es bastante interesante, la temática me gusta y es fácil de leer, aunque encuentro que la trilogía entera podría recogerse en un único libro, ya que es una única historia, sin saltos temporales ni cambios que pudieran dar pie a tres libros... Pero en general la saga es bastante buena.

luise_neubig's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

2.5 Sterne
Irgendwie war kaum Handlung vorhanden. Ich lese trotzdem nochmal den dritten Teil in der Hoffnung, dass die Reihe gut endet.

xandypp's review against another edition

aevallee's review against another edition

This series is just really enjoyable and the bits of humor mixed with the mystery are great.

There's time travel, no insta-love, no love triangles and a secret society. The audio/narration is also well done.

None of the usual odd turns of phrase or telltale signs of a translated work either.