Reviews tagging Confinement

Galatea, by Madeline Miller

anntharai's review

emotional sad fast-paced

Enjoyable and dark, I’d like it to have been a longer story.

ogik's review

emotional sad medium-paced

hayleyvem's review against another edition

dark reflective sad fast-paced

lucidalumina's review

reflective sad tense fast-paced

this was my first time reading a short story so take my review with a grain of salt because I'm not too sure how to critique a short story. I did enjoy it, not in the sense that it made me happy, but I really felt for Galatea and experienced a strange range of emotions throughout. I feel like what puts me off short stories is this idea that I'm just going to forget about them afterwards, but that wasn't the case with this, as it was very memorable. even now, as I write this review, my eyebrows are furrowed thinking about what she went through. I think it was the perfect story for Madeline Miller to write as it could potentially be a novel or novella, but the length really suited it.

had to take off a star only because my not being used to the pacing of a short story kind of hindered my enjoyment of it. also, I remember feeling a little confused at some points, though it might have just been an off day, or maybe I should have taken more time to slowly read it.

mae_thebooksbewithyou's review

dark emotional sad fast-paced

The Yellow Wallpaper meets Greek myth. This story was beautifully written, and a really interesting concept, but damn, Madeline Miller is just brutal to all her female characters. Literally every single book she writes is dominated by violence against women, and this story is no different. I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book, because objectively, the writing is good and the characters are compelling, but it's just so. damn. depressing. I guess it had a hopeful (ish) ending? Idk. I think I'm done reading Miller's work. It's always well-written, but I'm just not here for brutal, unrelenting suffering for women.

msbarnesela's review

dark sad tense medium-paced

This is a short story, not a full novel, but I would totally read this as a full length book. Because of the short story format, character development is limited, but the main character is still complex. Good for fans of rewritten mythology; a good intro to Miller’s style and point of view in retelling myths.

emgulph's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

Madeline Miller you get it, you've cracked the code, you're the one. Please play Hades now and respond accordingly.