Reviews tagging Rape

Galatea, by Madeline Miller

rd77's review

dark reflective sad fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

An interesting and quick story. Even though it’s so short, you get a good feel for the characters’ personalities. It’s sad and dark, and definitely upsetting to think about so it inspires some feminism

enjolrss's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad fast-paced

akiram's review

adventurous challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

This is a new project for Madaline Miller. I must say that it is her weakest work by now, but it is good nonetheless.
Spoiler I enjoyed getting to know the sad story of Galatea, story that in its themes represents every women that has been harassed, raped and abused by men.
Spoiler It made me reflect a lot and I'm thankful that I read it.

longoanna's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

iamangieh's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

ogik's review

emotional sad medium-paced

tshepiso's review against another edition

challenging dark sad fast-paced

Galatea isn't exactly what I expected from Madeline Miller. This retelling of the classic Greek myth of Pygmalion puts Galetea at the centre of the narrative and her creator is placed in the role of a self-aggrandizing abusive husband. Through the lens of Greek mythology, Miller explores the patriarchal dynamics between women and their husbands and mental health institutions.

In Galetea Miller crafts a biting portrait of the very real ways women were and still are seen as completely subservient to their husbands and how every infraction against that image of the docile, obedient wife is punished by individuals and institutions.

Miller's writing here is blunter than in her novels. The edge to her storytelling made for an arresting, visceral story. The narrative voice of our protagonist, Galatea is fascinating. Her acerbic commentary clever ability to use the restrictive mould she's forced into to her benefit made her such an engrossing character to follow.

If you looking for a dark, deeply cynical short story with a cathartic ending I would highly recommend it.

Content Warming: Spousal Rape, Domestic Violence, Pedophilia, Allusions to CSA

hayleyvem's review against another edition

dark reflective sad fast-paced

lucidalumina's review

reflective sad tense fast-paced

this was my first time reading a short story so take my review with a grain of salt because I'm not too sure how to critique a short story. I did enjoy it, not in the sense that it made me happy, but I really felt for Galatea and experienced a strange range of emotions throughout. I feel like what puts me off short stories is this idea that I'm just going to forget about them afterwards, but that wasn't the case with this, as it was very memorable. even now, as I write this review, my eyebrows are furrowed thinking about what she went through. I think it was the perfect story for Madeline Miller to write as it could potentially be a novel or novella, but the length really suited it.

had to take off a star only because my not being used to the pacing of a short story kind of hindered my enjoyment of it. also, I remember feeling a little confused at some points, though it might have just been an off day, or maybe I should have taken more time to slowly read it.

mae_thebooksbewithyou's review

dark emotional sad fast-paced

The Yellow Wallpaper meets Greek myth. This story was beautifully written, and a really interesting concept, but damn, Madeline Miller is just brutal to all her female characters. Literally every single book she writes is dominated by violence against women, and this story is no different. I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book, because objectively, the writing is good and the characters are compelling, but it's just so. damn. depressing. I guess it had a hopeful (ish) ending? Idk. I think I'm done reading Miller's work. It's always well-written, but I'm just not here for brutal, unrelenting suffering for women.