Reviews tagging Suicide

Galatea, by Madeline Miller

rd77's review

dark reflective sad fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

An interesting and quick story. Even though it’s so short, you get a good feel for the characters’ personalities. It’s sad and dark, and definitely upsetting to think about so it inspires some feminism

annasatya's review

dark emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

akiram's review

adventurous challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

This is a new project for Madaline Miller. I must say that it is her weakest work by now, but it is good nonetheless.
Spoiler I enjoyed getting to know the sad story of Galatea, story that in its themes represents every women that has been harassed, raped and abused by men.
Spoiler It made me reflect a lot and I'm thankful that I read it.

iamangieh's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

renata_paiva's review

dark reflective fast-paced

ogik's review

emotional sad medium-paced

lucidalumina's review

reflective sad tense fast-paced

this was my first time reading a short story so take my review with a grain of salt because I'm not too sure how to critique a short story. I did enjoy it, not in the sense that it made me happy, but I really felt for Galatea and experienced a strange range of emotions throughout. I feel like what puts me off short stories is this idea that I'm just going to forget about them afterwards, but that wasn't the case with this, as it was very memorable. even now, as I write this review, my eyebrows are furrowed thinking about what she went through. I think it was the perfect story for Madeline Miller to write as it could potentially be a novel or novella, but the length really suited it.

had to take off a star only because my not being used to the pacing of a short story kind of hindered my enjoyment of it. also, I remember feeling a little confused at some points, though it might have just been an off day, or maybe I should have taken more time to slowly read it.

geno's review

dark tense fast-paced

TW: abuso sexual, relaciones tóxicas, suicidio.

El cuento es un retelling de Galatea y Pigmalión. Un breve y muy simple resumen del mito es decir que se trata de la historia de un escultor enamorado de su obra y logra cobre vida.

Una visión un poco más profunda, nos cuenta que Pigmalión no encontraba a una esposa perfecta, por lo cuál decidió esculpirla y por la voluntad de Venus, Galatea se volvió humana.

Sin importar la versión, es evidente que el mito gira entorno a la esposa bella y perfecta de Pigmalión, por eso encontrar este cuento que da vuelta la narrativa y se centra en Galatea es una interesante manera de reveerlo.

Galatea aporta una mirada mucho más interesante y nos muestra personajes totalmente humanos con todas sus miserias.

Son solamente 20 páginas y transmite muchísimo. Es una lectura muy recomendable aunque es necesario tomar en cuenta las adventencias, nada extremadamente gráfico pero son situaciones que no están endulzadas.
---
TW: sexual assault, toxic relationship, suicide.

This very short story is a retelling of Galatea and Pygmalion.
A very interesting take in the myth that explores Galatea's life as a human ans it's way darker than what I was expecting.

It feels very well rounded to be such a short novella.
A great read but with a few trigger warnings.

readclever's review

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

I wanted to like this story. Galatea, the character, had such potential. But Miller made her far too passive in some ways. I'm not sure if this is meant to be placed in ancient Greece or 1865 Britian.

The ending was sad but well done. There was a lot of emotional resonance. But the lead up felt so empty because the story was so short. There wasn't a real connection beyond her subjugation.

There were too many loose threads at the end to bump it up to 3 stars. I'm not sure how to take this story as an intro to Miller.

michellez08's review