A Long Fatal Love Chase, by Louisa May Alcott

oregongirl85's review against another edition

This book shocked me. I wouldn't think that stalking, priests battling with their vows and a living devil incarnate would be topics from 1866. However, I am so glad that I read this book. I love the storyline, the characters, and the scenes. I felt every emotion that the heroine felt, and probably some that she didn't. This is not something that I would have guessed the author of Little Women could have written, but she did it well.

abelneuf's review against another edition

Ça a très mal vieilli; le langage est suranné et on s'ennuie assez vite.
Il faudrait peut-être que je relise ses autres livres mais je pense que son écriture convenait bien mieux aux histoires des fillettes.

johannalm's review against another edition

A long Fatal Love Chase, Louisa May Alcott
Unpublished in her lifetime because the novel was thought to be too sensational and scandalous for Alcott's readers, we get to experience it and cherish it for it's window into what was considered a risque story of obsessive love and passion in the 1800s. Thankfully today's lucky readers can enjoy this irresistible, old fashioned novel of love and suspense.
Rosamond, at 19, is bored and unhappy living with her elderly grandfather on a remote island off the coast of England. When Phillip Tempest appears, an old pupil of her grandfather, she befriends him and tells him of her deepest desire to live life and find joy. He, older and world weary, is beguiled and entertained by the young, naive, and of course stunningly beautiful girl. Tempest woos her and eventually, with the promise of marriage, carries her off on his yacht for adventure and love. Rosamond falls hard and they spend one blissful year together before she discovers his treachery and many lies. Tempest is an evil man - what a surprise. Rose, strong and moral, even though young and inexperienced, flees from Phillip. The rest of the book follows her continued flight and his relentless search for her, and his endless efforts to reassert his dominance over her. Rose runs from country to country and befriends many who love her and help her, but Tempest always finds her - at each turn he reappears and scares reader and heroine alike. Rosamond has courage and spirit and you can't help put hope she finds freedom and happiness at some point.
Alcott wrote a heart pounding and suspense-filled book that is hard to put down. Words like delightful, exciting and fun come to mind often during the reading of this well written novel. She also does a great job creating the self-centered man of the time, one unable to let his prize catch get away. I highly recommend this for book lovers, Alcott lovers, and anyone who loves a good yarn.

nadoislandgirl's review against another edition

Talk about melodramatic! Not what I expected from the author of Little Women.

alannaredwood's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

I can see why Alcott never published this during her lifetime - it felt unfinished, which is kind of a shame. It could've been a 5-star book with a little more development. As it is, it's short enough to be worth reading no matter what.

cath_c's review against another edition

4.5/5

This book was fantastically difficult to rate because I liked it so much, but as Stephen King pointed out in his review, too many of the twists in this book depend on circumstance. Also Ippolito, the “Greek” boy, speaks Italian and later *becomes* Italian. This, I think, is forgivable for a book written in 1866 and published in 1999.

That being said, the twists were indeed very thrilling, and I kept stopping while reading because the emotions Acott evoked ran very high. It was dramatic and suspenseful and everything I wanted in a 19th century thriller. I did not see the end coming (although perhaps I should have), and all in all it was a very good read.

leialocks's review against another edition

At first, I didn't know what to make of this book, but then I went through a few pages and got hooked into the up and downs of Rose's travels. This is not the Alcott from Little Women. A little over the top, but in a way that is fun. "Da..da.da.dum" plays in your head when a chapter concludes.

rafybg's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

fondofbooks's review against another edition

"I'd gladly sell my soul to Satan for a year of freedom," exclaims Rosamond Vivian. Until one night an unannounced stranger comes to her island, stealing her heart and whisking her away from her home. Rosamond and her now husband Philip Tempest, live a peaceful and happy first year until a mysterious lady appears at their doorstep divulging some unknown information about Phillip which turns Rosamond's heart cold causing her to flee.

From here continues a cat and mouse chase with Phillip seeking her out giving no moments worth of peace. This may be horrible but I am going to compare Miss Alcott's work to Looney Tunes. Not that it is necessarily funny but the two do remind me of Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny. Tempest stocking around "Be very, very quite, we're hunting Wabbits" Or Wosamond... And while Bugs Bunny may pop up unexpectedly in a humorous way she is found unexpectedly in the most unusual places.

I found A Long Fatal Love Chase to be a very entertaining read. While this book did get a little repetitive (although the title should have given it away) I enjoyed reading of the unexpected persona's the two took to hide their identities even if both were for different reasons; and also when and were Tempest would pop up. One thing that I found sad about this book was that the couple still loved each other deeply. Although, Rosamond refused to express these emotions due to her husband's past, and tempest's affection had turned violent.

On a last note, Louisa May Alcott died in 1888 with this book being thought of as too risky for her lifetime so was not published until 1995 over a century after her death. The sad thing about this, is that A Long Fatal Love Chase would be considered tame by today's standards.

julle1980's review against another edition