Sex and Vanity, by Kevin Kwan

prophetofthepage's review against another edition

The Kitty Pong cameo was top tier.

mndmllr's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

gillbethkinder's review against another edition

I didn't like this book, unfortunately. I wanted to, but the built-out-of-nothing romance left me so disinterested I was slogging through it, even though I was listening to the audiobook version.

The characters irritated me (although I know most are supposed to be irritating) and I never felt attached to a single one.

My one star was probably harsh, but the only thing to keep me going through this book was the fact that my mom recommended it for me.

lovelee8's review against another edition

Loved it! So much fun. And I'm very happy they are making it into a movie!

dcpisces's review against another edition

Everything is over the top — exactly why we read Kevin Kaan books!

booknerdwithlipstick's review against another edition

I don't read a lot of chick lit/romance so I don't have a lot of comparison to make, so I'm rating based on my feelings. Also, I'm clearly biased to Kevin Kwan too, an auto-buy author at this point since I've read and enjoyed all of his books.

I loved/liked :
- Kwan's writing style : still with the ridiculous humor and all the facts dropping that I find so interesting. Don't ever read one of his books if you don't have access to Google.
- the settings were so incredibly dreamy, especially Capri it had me traveling from my home
- we could see some parallels with Crazy Rich Asian (I noticed two cameos from characters, maybe there were more, it's been a while since I read the trilogy)
- it simply made me feel good and happy during a very very crappy time. And that's worth everything.

Why I dropped a star :
- it's cliché, it's very predictable, totally cheesy, (but it's such a guilty pleasure to dive in that I absolutely did not mind AT ALL, but I couldn't give it 5 stars nonetheless)

daisyblaine's review against another edition

Fun light reading.

psalm7325's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted slow-paced

I could not convinced myself to like any of the characters. Everyone was so privileged and snobby that it was not an enjoyable read.

shinychick's review against another edition

I'd been told it was fun, but not as crazy as CRA, and I have to agree. It was cutely self-referential, and some of the plot points were pretty funny, but there were a couple of times I just wanted to smack one of the characters.

vanimelda's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced