Heaven by Mieko Kawakami

lia18's review against another edition

3-4/5. It was emotional to say less, I listen to the audio book and I recommend it. It got very hard to listen to it in the end, for obvious reasons but I loved the very end of the story.

steph_k_103's review against another edition

I know this book probably has heaps of symbolism and things you can pick apart and really analyse, but me brain right now is kinda frozen. Like… this was quite a transforming read. It wasn’t dramatic. It wasn’t climactic. It wasn’t pretentious but it wasn’t boring. It wasn’t dense but it wasn’t light either.

This book was multidirectional and took you on a clear journey through the life of the MC. Each character was different. It thought the commentary on right and wrong being subjective was eye opening. Especially when Momose has those philosophical moments. I particularly liked the overarching focus on solidarity. Especially the relationship between the MC and Kohima. Yes there was bullying but the book had so much more meaning which is hard for me to explain right now because me poor pea brain can’t vocalise my opinions clearly :)

mara19's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

98hayley's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

kenjisgf's review against another edition

it was weird my brain hurt , like it was uncomfortable but i liked it yk ? annotating the book was really fun though , overall i felt that the writing was really nice , the choice of words and stuff was good i liked analyzing tht

esswntry's review against another edition

challenging dark sad tense medium-paced

marinsmar's review against another edition

2,5/5
meh, that’s my opinion, meh. The feeling I got from this book is that a some point something incredible was going to happen, that will change me forever, but at the end… it didn’t. It was boring at some point and I didn’t understand what happened at the end. But the representation of bullying and depression was really good and accurate. At the end, it was just meh

summerglowjoe's review against another edition

I think this book will stay with me for a long time. I'd like to believe Kawakami suggests a bleak view of the world, but instead I found unsettling perspectives that might not be far from reality.

I still need some time to properly take it all in.

madbrad22's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

cbarschdorff's review against another edition

emotional sad fast-paced