And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini

soaptedecarte's review against another edition

Pur si simplu superb

ginbat's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

Hosseini's writing always has a poetic feeling to it, I would say this book is of course more "enjoyable" than The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns if only because our characters are not subject to the same amount of violence. This story is more.. Floaty? The only thing keeping it from 5 stars is that the ending feels too much like ATSS.

sharafhussain21's review against another edition

Disappointing. It felt as if he wrote this one under pressure when he had already run out of ideas. With all those scattered disjointed and half-finished stories, this book just keeps you hanging, waiting for a decisive conclusion that never comes. With jaw-dropping masterpieces like The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, you would inevitably expect Hosseini to deliver, but with this one he doesn't.

humbumyum's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

v good book, would recommend. writing has developed clearly over his books. was v good in the beginning but disliked how soo many perspectives were used. Hosseini overused this, too many narrative povs.

ranjanireviewsreads's review against another edition

**spoiler alert** And The Mountains Echoed is supposed to be one of Hosseini's least popular books. While starting to read it, I kind of understood why: you have to really stay with the novel to figure it out because there are so many characters and so many stories happening simultaneously, you don't know where one is ending and the other is beginning.

But that, I feel, is the magic of Hosseini. He manages to handle so many diverse, yet interconnected stories and also keep the readers engaged. Absolutely magical.

We have Pari and Abdullah's relationship. He is so protective of her, it's almost as if he's both her parent and her sibling. But we see them torn apart and then lose contact altogether until Abdullah's daughter, also named Pari, contacts her aunt. What dynamic!

I particularly liked how the entire novel, and all of the stories depict the realities of life: there are some relationships that are fleeting: they may be potent while they last but they don't last long; there are parents who don't know how to parent; secret love stories in the most unexpected places; and a whole lot of wondrous interconnections between yourself and someone you may have met once in your life. We see how some people have no love for anyone, and how much love parents have for their children. It speaks of the price of growing up.

EDIT: As I am posting this review in 2023 from Goodreads, i have become more aware of Hosseini's problem areas and will not be reading any of his other works or marketing any of his works.

ivinklerkomaric's review against another edition

BOOK CLUB (za svibanj 2016)
Jako su mi se svidjele Hosseinijeve Tisuću zlatnih sunaca i Gonič zmajeva pa sam s veseljem i velikim očekivanjima uzela ovu knjigu u ruke. Međutim, nije na žalost ispunila moja očekivanja. Dosta mi je lošija od prethodne dvije. Nekako mi je nedostajalo ono lijepo pripovijedanje koje me je toliko dirnulo u prethodne dvije knjige. Izgledalo mi je kao da je autor napisao tu knjigu da zadovolji normu izdavača.

katy313's review against another edition

Khaled Hosseini is absolutely one of the greatest storytellers of our time. His story flows and I can easily picture it all in my mind as I read it. He really has an amazing touch and taps into all your emotions as you read. If you don't take the time to read his works, you are cheating yourself!!!

carolsebastian's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

carlylukacs's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced