False Value, by Ben Aaronovitch

annettes's review

adventurous dark emotional funny informative lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

andrew_c's review against another edition

For some reason False Value didnt quite gel for me, and I have no idea why. At first I thought it might be the way it drops you right into the action, but its not that, I like it when books do that without wasting pages explaining the situation, even when the situation is vastly different from the previous status quo.

I think I'll have to reread it in 6 months or so and see how it feels then.

qwerty88's review

adventurous dark funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

very happy that we have moved from the Big Bad focus that kept going for so many books. this has the intro of a new big bad, but enjoyable thus far

gb_anna's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

penda105's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

sfian's review

funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

A totally disorienting first few chapters during which I completely fell for the ruse of Peter's new situation and watched the story flip backwards and forwards through time (a bit like Aaronovitch's more franchised literary hero).

Once everything had settled down, this volume proved there is life for the series beyond the on going arc of the first seven books, even if there are still threads to be tied off. I loved all the references to Hitchhiker's.

jannisber's review

adventurous funny mysterious slow-paced

swarmofbees's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

rogue_archivist's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

cemeteryofforgottenbooks's review

“The magical tradition I belong to exists in the gap between the observable universe and the rational clockwork creation of the Enlightenment.”
Review: false value - Ben Aaronovitch
Another Rivers of London book and another awesome read!
Well listen.... I started listening to the audiobooks with book one and Kobna Holdbrook-Smith’s narration is so absolutely brilliant that I don’t think I could ever physically read the books. He IS the Rivers of London books for me. I wish he narrated every audiobook EVER!
This review will only be relevant if you’ve read the previous seven books so I’ll keep it short and avoid spoilers. If you’re a fan of this series, you’ll enjoy this book! All the great characters are back, a lot more Bev (which is always a good thing), and a fuck ton of Hitch hikers guide to the gallery references!!! Which if you’re a big geek like me, you will love!!
It’s a lot more techie. As always with this series, I’m always left desperate for more, I’m gutted when it’s over and I have to wait another year for the next one.... and that’s the best review I can give a book
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
If you haven’t picked up this series yet or even better listened to the audiobooks, I strongly urge you to do so. It’s just brilliant!