Ninth House, by Leigh Bardugo

emma1331's review against another edition

I absolutely ADORED this book. I’m not typically one for fantasy but this was so rich, and I loved Alex. I wanted to keep reading to know what happened, but also wanted to take my time so it wouldn’t end!
I’m so glad there’s a second book coming soon!

arkenst0ne's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

bewktalks's review against another edition

*3.5 stars

really wanted this book to be so much more darker though

nuhamir's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

annmarie_reads's review against another edition

Bardugo knows New Haven. Overall I enjoyed the book, but I wish it focused more on Darlington’s story instead of Alex.

kitten_kaboom's review against another edition

The beginning was a little difficult to get into but overall, I enjoyed it.

carolinafsilva2's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

mtlbibliophile's review against another edition

4.5 stars

What a ride! This book made me fall in love with a character who wasn't there long enough, but who makes a potential comeback at the end (YESSS!). Darlington is wonderful. Alex, the main character, is pretty badass. She doesn't always know what she's doing, but she manages to get herself out of the really bad situations she got herself into, initially. The world is very well described. Leigh Bardugo's great strengths are diaplayed here: character development, world building and storyline. A book that doesn't disappoint and that will certainly make a great series.

whitllo's review against another edition

The world and character development were really interesting, but the plot had a lot of pacing issues. The time jumps hindered rather than helped - they were easy enough to follow but didn’t add to the suspense/story and once the stakes of the story were established they never seemed to change. I’m also not a fan of “false endings” - the big conflict resolved with two hours left in the audiobook and left me wondering what the point of the last bit of the book was.

The world and the characters were interesting enough though that I plan to read the next book with hope that plot issues resolve.

leilasullivan's review against another edition

TW: themes of sexual assault and addiction (Spoiler Free)

I wanted to review this while it was still fresh in my mind, as I'm a little disappointed! I so badly wanted to love this book, the promise of magic and the dark academia world-building thoroughly enticed me - but it felt a little lackluster. I've added a trigger warning because this book does touch on some sensitive topics, especially surrounding the lead Alex herself.

Comparing this novel to Leigh Bardugo's previous work Six of Crows (which I adored), the pacing felt so slow - there is a lot of lore to this book, surrounding the secret societies of Yale, so much so I kept getting them muddled with one another. The concept of these societies was really interesting, but it felt like I was pelted with an immense amount of information without the time to properly digest it. The plot twists were underwhelming and read more as a method of convenience rather than to actually further the storyline; this detachment made my interest waver, by the end I felt I wasn't really invested at all. To me, it just seemed a little ... messy? So much information crammed into the singular novel yet it felt like such a slow read.

Regardless of the plot, I loved the characterisation of Alex and Darlington. Alex was wonderfully flawed and fleshed out, I will always have a soft spot for the representation of strong female characters (and I feel Alex represented this very well). I am slightly in love with Darlington, his appreciation for education is endearing, and I like that he stays true to his values throughout the text. For this reason, I will probably read the second book when it comes out, in the hope that the world-building is now out of the way - allowing more focus on the characters and how their lives intertwine with one another (especially Dawes, I'd love to read more about her!).

This book was a three star read for me - I just wanted something more, a world of magic that I could completely immerse myself into. It was still a good read, but my initial enthusiasm was sadly misplaced.