El retrato de Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

bookish_goui's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

stormedorian's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective medium-paced

dialogue_with_the_stars's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective slow-paced

paulaks's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective slow-paced

There are many thoughts I have about this book so let's brain dump them:
- Obviously beautifully written. Result: Lot of quotes!
- Interesting characters, non of them exeptionally "loveable" but that was not how they should be. Their flaws and different beliefs made this so interesting and without those the book couldn't thrive.
- Additional to the point I just mentioned, it was very manipulative. Looking at the time it was written the characters (men) wanted to be right and brush their beliefs onto everyone else. Even though those beliefs included misogynistic and racist views - the concept of that was really interesting and really important to the character development.
- The pacing was.. weird. Sometimes it was way too descriptive about e.g. a perfume. At other points it felt rushed especially at major plot lines. That was confusing but maybe intended?
- The philosophy was on point about society, youth, art and more that you will discover in the book. Especially the person who told his philosophical views was entertaining.
- I loved the athmosphere! Dark, dramatic leaning into gothic.
Overall: 4 stars. I think I have to reread it in 2 or 3 years to get a different view. But I can recommend to start as early as you can to pick this book up! If you are lucky (like I was) you can get a perspective on this book quite early, maybe even in your "youth". That will hit harder since there are many dialogs about that ;)

lunamarit1's review against another edition

dark emotional medium-paced

smartyisranty's review against another edition

The number of thoughts introduced by every character contradicts each other in a thread of fading morals reflected in a young man that goes through the best yet worst thing that can ever happen to him: possessing youthful looks for the rest of his life.
This book felt like such a treat, literally enjoyed every page in it. Highly recommend it.

hellgiirl's review

Me atrapó de inicio a fin, hay un interesante análisis entre la representación de los personajes de esta historia (Dorian, Basil, Lord Henry). Sí lees entre líneas encontrarás mensajes sobre la belleza, pecado, placer y codicia sumamente intrigantes.

¡Tiene sentido que el libro haya sido censurado en su tiempo!

thejustinwestra's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective tense slow-paced

I don’t read many classics (I’m working on reading more), but The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde piqued my interest. This philosophical, gothic novel follows a handsome young man, Dorian, who is enamored with his on youth and beauty. Dorian sells his soul to preserve his youth while a recently-painted portrait of him ages and records his sins.

This novel was more complicated than I thought it would be. Given the premise and the length of this book, I assumed it would be a pretty straightforward cautionary tale about youth and vanity. While these are major themes, this book also dives into the dangers of being influenced by others. Wilde was clearly trying to teach a lesson, but he did so using an interesting plot and flawed characters. I wouldn’t say I particularly liked any character, but Basil was the most interesting to me. Lord Henry seemed to have purposefully corrupted Dorian, whereas Basil inadvertently corrupted Dorian with too much praise.

There was a specific chapter, Chapter 11, that made me like this book less. This chapter covers Dorian’s descent over several years as he becomes obsessed  with art, jewelry, outfits, and other status symbols. I know this chapter is important for Dorian’s corruption but it was long and repetitive. I think this could have been handled in a much more interesting way, it was brutal to get through.

Towards the end of the book, I knew the story could only end a certain way. I didn’t know exactly how Wilde would get there, but I knew where it was headed. I wouldn’t describe the ending as satisfying, but necessary.

Overall, I loved how Wilde explored the themes of this book in such a dark way. I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

changbineyeskz's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

anya9195's review against another edition