Dubliners, by James Joyce

anthonysimon99's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

zoesbookshelf's review against another edition

This was another book that I read as part of my Literature degree and (do you see a theme emerging?)… I hated it.

juliwi's review

I have decided to use James Joyce's 'Dubliners' for my coursework for this term's Studying Literature module. I always thought Joyce could only be as difficult as 'Ulysses'. I read 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' a couple of years ago and quite liked it, even if I can't really remember it. I was quite hesitant about picking up 'Dubliners' but I am so happy I did. There are 15 stories in this collection, all of which are set in Dublin. Joyce himself said that in these stories he wanted to explore the 'paralysis' that was Dublin. This is what my coursework will focus on as well, so if you have any thoughts on that subject don't hesitate to comment.

My favourite story was probably 'Eveline' in which the heroine, of the same name, awaits her elopement with her lover only to, in the end, be unable to. The 'paralysis' is probably the most obvious in this story, but it is also a beautiful story. It is very detailed and emotional and at the same time so short you can do nothing but admire Joyce for being able to create such a complex narrative in just a few pages. There are so many emotions out in the open and brimming below the surface that even in rereads I have discovered new things about it. The same thing, to an extent, counts for all other stories but it really stuck with me in this story.

What is quite interesting is the structure of the collection. They are divided into childhood, young adults, middle age and death. Although these themes, death and development, come up in all the stories, it is very clear that they are different categories. This means that as you read the stories you almost grow up and accept the paralysis that has spread throughout Dublin. You almost feel Joyce's claustrophobia as you read the street names and walk past the pubs and find nothing that is not Irish, not from Dublin. Even the characters that have seemed to escape have to return and seem caught in something else.

This collection of short stories is masterful. Joyce truly knows how to create with language. As you read, you feel like you are in Dublin, like you can feel the paralysis, and all of this is done through language and Joyce's intimate knowledge of Dublin. I recommend it to everyone, especially those who are scared of by the name James Joyce.

plainpaige's review

challenging dark reflective sad slow-paced

1.5

I'm sure it was better in its time, but I found Dubliners only mildly interesting at best. Before you say I don't appreciate the classics, I very much appreciated this book for its ability to help me fall asleep.

marco_izner's review against another edition

[****1/2]

Un libro che contiene The Dead meriterebbe il voto pieno, lo so; tuttavia, mi sento di abbassarlo solo perché, malgrado lo spessore di questi racconti, il Joyce maggiore sarà quello successivo.
Qui però c'è già una parte dello scrittore che verrà. Soprattutto c'è la Dublino da lui in seguito abbandonata, come del resto alcuni personaggi di Dubliners vorrebbero fare. Ciononostante, pur con tutte le evoluzioni stilistiche che condurranno la forma-romanzo alle sue estreme conseguenze, la capitale irlandese rimarrà protagonista della poetica joyciana, insieme alla sua decadenza, al bigottismo, ai suoi pub, al suo alcol e alle sue innumerevoli contraddizioni.

Rileggere questa raccolta in inglese mi ha dato molto; senza dubbio mi ha fatto capire, come tutte le letture in lingua originale, la grandezza del suo autore. Penso quindi che prima o dopo farò lo stesso con A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man. Per Ulisse, invece, penso chiederò aiuto al buon Enrico Terrinoni, giacché a suo tempo (colpevolmente) non terminai la classica versione di Giulio De Angelis. Ogni tanto mi concederò comunque un'occhiata al testo originale, del quale a suo tempo provai una lettura nuda e cruda: e pure questo tentativo, va da sé, non ebbe alcun successo.

aminabooknomad's review against another edition

Each story in this book is intimate and atmospheric and vividly portrays a particular experience or view of Dublin at its time. The dialogue is a pleasure to read and sometimes made me laugh out loud. Each story addresses a social and/or political question, subtly and without sacrificing the story and characters.

huncamuncamouse's review

I first read this book in college (for a class on modernism) and I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what drew me back to this collection, but I'm glad I revisited it. It was just as good as I remembered, and once again, I'm reminded of what a masterpiece "The Dead" is--truly one of the greatest endings of any work of literature. Maybe one day I'll eventually read one of Joyce's novels.

bemjanim's review against another edition

challenging slow-paced

pretty hit or miss tbh

ashlee_erin_armstrong89's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

dietrich03's review against another edition