Spinning Silver, by Naomi Novik

achablani's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful reflective fast-paced

brandibell's review against another edition

I just love the way that she writes. And the audiobook reader is also fantastic.

kenzigrl's review against another edition

This book took me way to long to finish. Some storylines and parts of this book were so enjoyable and others had me yawning in boredom. I wanted to love this book but that wasn’t the case at all.

miskatonia's review against another edition

If you enjoyed Uprooted you will surely enjoy this. Also for fans of Catherynne Valente's Deathless.

alan_'s review against another edition

Couldn't finish it. I loved the story idea and I really want to know what happens in the end, but I was just turning pages for the sake of it.

cranereader's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

hmonkeyreads's review against another edition

This book is fine but for some reason it felt like a slog to me. I just wasn’t excited to come back to reading it. I really enjoyed her book Uprooted and some of the Temeraire books but this just didn’t have the same magic for me.

rysmi's review against another edition

Note, I listened to the audio book, but other reviews lead me to reveal the feeling is universal. It’s confusing to have so many points of view without immediately knowing who is speaking. It left me frustrated and took away from some of my enjoyment of the book. Also, the plot developed slower than a sloth riding a snail. Omg I feel like I deserve a medal for finishing. Like there is some club I have now earned membership too. The ending though was WAY too rushed, and far too predictable. The voice actress didn’t do a good job of sounding different for anyone but the demon in my opinion so this is definitely not a book I’d recommend.

christineliu's review against another edition

I loved this book. What a captivating and gorgeously written tale about smart, resourceful women using their wits to outsmart powerful creatures that would seek to harm them and the people they care about. It's quite possibly the best fairy tale retelling I've ever read, though I'm reticent to classify it as a retelling because it is so beautifully original. This is a new favorite for sure.

artosvanstel's review

And another book can be striped of the endless to-read list. I really liked the world and most of the characters, and it reacquainted me with my love for fantasy, from which I have been taking a short break (by visiting some magical realistic books).

while some points were trying my suspension of disbelief (some character actions), over all the story and characters were interesting, with strong and engaging writing to back them up.

While reading it it snowed heavily here in the Netherlands, which perfectly fit the world, adding for some nice extra immersion.

In the end, i would definitely recommend this book to people that like some magical fantasy, although I preferred the authors other book ('Uprooted')