3 Dates, by Lily Morton

dithkusu's review

Same case as the other short story I read by Lily Morton today- this suits the Valentine's Day romance mood, is also a case of best friends turned lovers, also prompted by dumping a terrible ex boyfriend in the picture though this is more recent, and they go on a flurry of specifically three dates here, that were hilariously meant for the ex boyfriend, and the epilogue ends with them being in blissful domesticity while there's plans for a proposal. So this was rather repetitive after just reading the other one, and the author's signature tropes are getting a bit tiring as well.

But this already got more bonus points just by the fact that one of the guys, the hot model on the cover, is Asian (well, technically Eurasian but there's little Asian rep out in these kinds of romances as it is). Also there's the whole cameo of Gabe and Dylan from the Finding Home series! Mick, who spent his childhood in foster homes and is high-achieving as a result, works for Gabe and Gabe is basically his mentor. Archie is a nurse, a popular confident personality type who welcomed Mick in when they met in middle school and have been best friends since; there are extended flashbacks to their younger days showing this.

Overall their relationship was cute enough, if very repetitive to me by this point. I just thought at some point, this dynamic of obvious years of pining for each other while head scratchingly, inexplicably dating obviously garbage men (could NOT understand why Mick was dating with the ex, and even let him live in his apartment) got quite annoyingly frustrating to read. Just want to bash their heads together and be like, KISS you dummies.

teenykins's review

I loved Archie and Michael's story. I just started reading Lily Morton and I have to say I love her style and stories.

Yes Patrick's treatment wasn't the best but seeing as I've listened and read worse between the 2 MCs and not even the big bad ex, I can forgive that :)

suzy76's review

Lily Morton can do no wrong in my opinion, an utterly enchanting wonderful novella. And it was soooo great to see Gabe and Dylan again!

nolagal's review

lighthearted medium-paced

leslie_kent's review

I realized as I started reading this that I had already read it and just never marked it. But I was enjoying it so much that I kept going and loved the reread. Lily Morton does friends to lovers so perfectly. And for such a short story this felt fully developed and worked for me on all levels. Loved the cameos from Dylan and Gabe too.

haletostilinski1's review

I always love and enjoy Lily Morton's work, whether they're short stories or full length. I adored this short story, it was classic Morton. Romantic, funny and sweet with some seriousness sneaking in here and there. But for the most part it is definitely a Rom-Com, with a great main couple who get their HEA.

Michael - or Mick, as only his best friend Archie gets to call him - works for Gabe - MC of book one of the Mixed Messages series - and has been best friends with Archie, a nurse, for ten years since high school.

Archie has known his feelings since basically the first time they met, but it takes until well, present day in this book ten years later for Mick to realize what has been right in front of his face.

After he catches his boyfriend of a year cheating on him and breaks it off, he takes Archie on the Valentine's Day dates he had planned for him and said cheating boyfriend, but only as "friends" of course.

But as they go to the places Mick planned, it comes more and more apparent he planned the dates with Archie in mind, not the ex, and Mick's eyes start to open more and more when it comes to Archie.

This was a sweet, wonderful tale of these two best friends becoming lovers, and their chemistry was really well done. Morton has done this before with short stories, packing in the history and everything so that the love doesn't feel out of left field when they fall into it.

Loved this, definitely recommend!

gabi90's review

DNF around @60% I don't even know, I stopped several times.

Gabe and Dylan fans (Rule Breaker), you guys need to read this, if only because of them. They were the highlight of this book.

So I have a big dilemma. Lately I'm not enjoying contemporary books as much as I would like. I'm bored, that's why I didn't finish it.

But I wanna give 1 star for the way how the ex-boyfriend was treated. And I realize, it's probably me and not the book. I know the ex has to be the bad guy in this story, but couldn't it have been done in a non-degrading way? Mick was with the guy for a whole year, and he only realized after Patrick cheated on him, that he does not even like him. After he caught him with another guy (calmly observed it), he went home, to break up with him officially. He outright called him stupid and selfish, superficial and materialistic...

You’re frequently unkind, obsessed with surface appearances, and have a brain that’s emptier than the Sahara Desert.”

“You’re also messier and more careless with possessions than a small toddler and just as fond of destruction.”

“You’re an idiot. You should read more than your weekly copy of Hello.”

...and those things might be true (albeit unrealistic, I think this character was a bit overdone), but why the hell was he with him in the first place, if he thought those things about him. I get it, it's better to be with someone, than alone. But... anyway..... he might've deserved to be kicked out, but I just didn't like the things that were said about him.

I also realize that it should've been funny, humor a la Lily Morton, but.. ugh! No!

knrt_17's review

New to me author. This is a mm short story, just the epilogue. Story was about Mick and Archie. Not really enough to say one way or the other if I like this contemporary story.

madigan459's review

This was a sweet little story. With all the feels this book and [b:Best Love|41858875|Best Love|Lily Morton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1537138985s/41858875.jpg|65344404] gave me, I guess this means I have to go on a [a:Lily Morton|4829595|Lily Morton|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/f_50x66-6a03a5c12233c941481992b82eea8d23.png] binge now. Yay and sigh all at the same time. If only I could ask my boss for more days off so I can read.

Also, I loved that Archie had sleeves. After reading so many romances where tattoos mean a hard-drinking, brawl-loving hardass MC, it's nice to read about a regular everyday dude whose inked up. Not all of us who are heavily tattooed are itching to get into a fight wherever we go. Like Archie, most of us are just regular, everyday, working people trying to live/love life.

caithh's review

Don’t have much to say about this one except I was a little bored. I’m thinking it’s just me though, the headspace I’m in. So I’ll have to reread another time.