Reviews tagging Violence

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling

sarahsbookss's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

bingsdings's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced
Love the language and the pacing and the general idea of Harry Potter, hate some of the messages the books send, like the fatphobia, lack of representation; and the fact that Harry is never questioned or criticised and is painted as this character without any flaws, he does break rules, but *wow he's so rebellious*.

jaydemccurry's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful mysterious medium-paced

kelly_e's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

Pub Date: July 2 1998

T H R E E • W O R D S

Enchanting • Nostalgic • Fun

📖 S Y N O P S I S

After an awful summer at the Dursley's, Harry cannot wait to return to Hogwarts for his second year. However, just before he is set to go back, he receives a dire warning from Dobby not to return. Harry disregards the warning, but little does he know his second year will be just as eventful as his first as the mystery surrounding the infamous Chamber of Secrets takes centre stage.

💭 T H O U G H T S

I've been thoroughly enjoying my re-read of this series and a return to the magical world that is Hogwarts. Although book two is one of my least favourites, it does introduce a ton of characters, plot points and aspects that will play a major role in future books. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets continues to build the world of Hogwarts, and demonstrates how Harry, Ron and Hermione work together as a team to get things accomplished. I loved the introduction of Parseltongue, the Polyjuice potion, and a more in depth glimpse into the various classes. It all made me want to be transported to Hogwarts.

One of the opening scenes with Dobby attempting to dissuade Harry from returning to school is so chaotic that it evoked anxiety in me (but I love how the Dobby story played out in the end) and the scene where Harry and Ron arrive at the school always cracks me up for some reason. Harry's time spent with the Weasley's endeared them to be even further, and I loved how Ginny gained a more prominent role.

While there is a lot of serious stuff going on, there is also a lot of humour which is part of the reason I love this series. There's no doubt Rowling is a fantastic storyteller. My criticism would definitely be that it felt like the action ended and the school year was wrapped up all too quickly. I can't recall if this is consistent across the books or not, but I enjoyed the quiet wrapping up of all the school related aspects, which felt lacking here.

I'll be continuing on with listening and reading along in my physical book as a move through the series. The audio really brings to life different personality traits in some of the characters. I'll be picking up book three is July.

📚 R E C O M M E N D • T O
• readers of all ages!

🔖 F A V O U R I T E • Q U O T E S

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

amiamor's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

sdemo08's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

One of my childhood favorites. We see more antics from Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they try and piece together the awful attacks happening at school. Some tense moments but they ultimately pull through and save the day.

emisbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious sad medium-paced

aidamaria_reads's review

adventurous dark funny hopeful inspiring mysterious relaxing medium-paced

First of all, I’d like to applaud Ron Weasley for facing his fear of spiders in this book. The poor guy gets into trouble solely because he chose to befriend Harry; that’s loyalty right there! On the other hand, there’s Ginny, who is unnervingly relatable (we shall not discuss my high school diaries, please and thank you). However, while rereading this book and knowing about all that is yet about to go down in the story, the second instalment of the series feels a bit like those filler episodes in tv shows. Nevertheless, I enjoyed being back in the wizarding world. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (4.5 out of 5 stars) for me! 🪄

mel_s_bookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

outsmartyourshelf's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny lighthearted mysterious tense medium-paced

The second book in the Harry Potter series sees Harry, Ron, & Hermione return to Hogwarts for their second school year. Harry has been miserable during the holidays as his aunt & uncle kept him locked up out of the way, & it takes Ron & the twins, Fred & George, & their father's flying car to rescue him. Once safely back at Hogwarts, things soon take a darker turn as first Mrs Norris, the caretaker's cat, & then a pupil, Colin Creevey, are found petrified (turned to stone) & a sinister message is painted on the wall. Who is the heir of Slytherin? Where is the Chamber of Secrets? What does this mean for Harry & friends?

This second time through the books is going well - I really can't believe I've only read them through once. I've updated my rating to 5 stars as I really can't find much to fault - there's friendship, bravery, loyalty, heroics, alongside some light relief (thanks to Kenneth Brannagh's wonderful portrayal in the films, I can't help but picture him as Gilderoy Lockheart). The only bit I didn't like was Aragog as I can't stand spiders. Yuck.