sarahsbookss's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

allisonshewfelt's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

Lockhart forgetting who he was was the best part

As usual this was such a fun read. It took me a little time to get back into it since I read the first one last year. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I read it in fall or winter it's just that type of series. For the love of God I couldn't read it with hp ambiences I don't know what's wrong with me. I did that with the first one and it was amazing.

The ending was really epic and I was in the dark the whole time about how people were getting petrified and what the creature was. It was definitely a little scarier that the first. The final battle in the chamber was so fun to read too

kelly_e's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

Pub Date: July 2 1998

T H R E E • W O R D S

Enchanting • Nostalgic • Fun

📖 S Y N O P S I S

After an awful summer at the Dursley's, Harry cannot wait to return to Hogwarts for his second year. However, just before he is set to go back, he receives a dire warning from Dobby not to return. Harry disregards the warning, but little does he know his second year will be just as eventful as his first as the mystery surrounding the infamous Chamber of Secrets takes centre stage.

💭 T H O U G H T S

I've been thoroughly enjoying my re-read of this series and a return to the magical world that is Hogwarts. Although book two is one of my least favourites, it does introduce a ton of characters, plot points and aspects that will play a major role in future books. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets continues to build the world of Hogwarts, and demonstrates how Harry, Ron and Hermione work together as a team to get things accomplished. I loved the introduction of Parseltongue, the Polyjuice potion, and a more in depth glimpse into the various classes. It all made me want to be transported to Hogwarts.

One of the opening scenes with Dobby attempting to dissuade Harry from returning to school is so chaotic that it evoked anxiety in me (but I love how the Dobby story played out in the end) and the scene where Harry and Ron arrive at the school always cracks me up for some reason. Harry's time spent with the Weasley's endeared them to be even further, and I loved how Ginny gained a more prominent role.

While there is a lot of serious stuff going on, there is also a lot of humour which is part of the reason I love this series. There's no doubt Rowling is a fantastic storyteller. My criticism would definitely be that it felt like the action ended and the school year was wrapped up all too quickly. I can't recall if this is consistent across the books or not, but I enjoyed the quiet wrapping up of all the school related aspects, which felt lacking here.

I'll be continuing on with listening and reading along in my physical book as a move through the series. The audio really brings to life different personality traits in some of the characters. I'll be picking up book three is July.

📚 R E C O M M E N D • T O
• readers of all ages!

🔖 F A V O U R I T E • Q U O T E S

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

amaramorgenstern's review

adventurous dark lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

amiamor's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

emisbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious sad medium-paced

aidamaria_reads's review

adventurous dark funny hopeful inspiring mysterious relaxing medium-paced

First of all, I’d like to applaud Ron Weasley for facing his fear of spiders in this book. The poor guy gets into trouble solely because he chose to befriend Harry; that’s loyalty right there! On the other hand, there’s Ginny, who is unnervingly relatable (we shall not discuss my high school diaries, please and thank you). However, while rereading this book and knowing about all that is yet about to go down in the story, the second instalment of the series feels a bit like those filler episodes in tv shows. Nevertheless, I enjoyed being back in the wizarding world. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (4.5 out of 5 stars) for me! 🪄

coffeeatthebeachwoodcafe's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

valvvm's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

greattappertwo's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced