The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson

mikyay's review against another edition

Even better reading the second time. Did it really only take me 3 days to read it this time? Damn...

gaelle_otalora's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense fast-paced

itsellie's review against another edition

4.5*

I did not expect to like this as much as I did. The fast pacing did wonders for the plot and there are significant improvements in Sanderson's writing from Mistborn Era 1. I still have some writing nitpicks but it was still such a good read!

eni_e's review against another edition

And Sanderson does it again. What a fun, well-written, entretaining and at the same time thoughtful book. I have to admit it indulges a little on intertextuality in moments, but I don't mind. This is a solid story about fighting crime, adventure, a world changing with technology, friendship and how life experience can change you, and it will prod you to read the next books in the Mistborn series. I definitely recommend it.

rozarka's review against another edition

I don't know how to rate this book. When I started reading it, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed myself immensely. It was quick, it was funny, and I liked the characters. But as the story progressed, some things started to get on my nerves. Mainly, hero worship. Lady Marasi seemed to be an interesting character, a combination of wits and femininity (and I mean it in the best way; her proclamation that she loved studying law and catching criminals, but she wouldn't like to go to the Roughs because she loves pretty clothes and perfumes... it was refreshing to see, not every strong female character has to be a tomboy!), but her puppy eyes and long monologues about how Wax is "the most powerful, the most capable" of men... Bleah. If they ever become a pair in the series, I won't continue reading.

Steris, on the other hand, I fell in love with. I hope she plays a more prominent role in future books.

Yes, I want to continue reading. Yes, I will probably start right away. The overarching plot excites me enough.

derwolfboy's review against another edition

I started rereading the Wax and Wayne series in preparation for the Lost Metal coming out in a few months. It had been a few years and honestly felt like visiting an old friend. Hadn’t realized how much I missed this world.

windrunner_nyy's review against another edition

Fun and very enjoyable, from start to finish

This is not the intriguing plot of era 1 or the worldbuilding of Stormlight. No, this is a fun and enjoyable book with great characters. It was a blast for me, I enjoyed it so much that it earns a five star rating. If you want a pulpy western with two great characters, this is it. Though, do not read this if you haven’t read Mistborn era 1.

travelgirlut's review against another edition

Excellent, entertaining book, like I've come to expect from Sanderson. A nice mix of wild west, steampunkish, fantasy, philosophy, humor, and more. It was a very quick read, and definitely left me wanting more. And though the acknowledgements lead you to believe this book was a one time thing, it sure does leave everything wide open for another book set in this particular time period in the Mistborn series. I, for one, would not be disappointed to see another one, though I'm thoroughly intrigued to see how he will set the Allomancy powers in a modern, urban world and in a sci-fi one. I can't wait!!

marareyn's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

larkspire's review against another edition

I have to admit that despite hearing good things about Mistborn Era 2, I was a little apprehensive at first. Aside from a new cast of characters, I don't generally enjoy fantasy set in this sort of era as much as I do others, and I wasn't certain that allomancy and feruchemy would work quite as well. I shouldn't have doubted! This is everything I could have wanted and more, including references to the first era.

The setting might even work better with the magic systems of Mistborn better than the pseudo-late Middle Ages did in the first era. Wax and Wayne are pretty interesting, and I think it's an asset to the story and the world that neither are Mistborn. I generally find that the more limitations a character has, the more interesting they are, and that holds true here. (I would have added "and they don't have to be pitted against near-immortals for the stakes to be meaningful", but then Sanderson did that anyway. Oh well. At least it isn't a near-immortal with all the other allomantic and feruchemical powers on top of it.) I especially like Wayne and the way he embodies his characters/disguises. And then Marasi is terrific, of course.

Sanderson's writing is as on-form as usual, and he continues to find ways to make just about everything mentioned in the story useful. It's something of a guessing game with him at this point - "in what unexpected ways will this be useful?" - but one I'm not tired of yet. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that even aluminum and duralumin mistings have some kind of key useful role to play with their useless powers. I'm also consistently impressed with Sanderson's plotting in itself. I enjoy his direct style, but it always sort of lulls me into a false sense of security - he's so clear and reveals so much that it's hard to remember he enjoys good twists and also likes to hide things. I was even more apprehensive about the planned modern-day Era 3, but for now I think I can relax.