Reviews tagging 'Grief'

The Alloy of Law, by Brandon Sanderson

oldladysadie's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

Very different from the Era 1 Mistborn Trilogy, but just as wonderful in its own right. This book has a great new cast of characters doing Sherlock Holmes-style detective work with action throughout, and offers an intriguing (and sweetly emotional at times) expansion on the world from the first series. It was also MUCH funnier than I expected going in. I loved it to pieces, and can’t wait to read the rest of the series!

hiddeninfantasy's review

adventurous funny mysterious tense fast-paced

jamieleepilk's review

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense fast-paced

caidyn's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

Very, very different than the original Mistborn series. (And, trust me, I still miss it and want to reread it already!)

I loved seeing how the world has changed over the hundreds of years, including seeing some familiar names. However, I feel like the world could have been a bit more fleshed out. It felt like this book could have been a stand-alone, but I know that there are more books in the series and that there will be even more books beyond it. The setting also was interesting, but I'm not a huge western fan so that kind of fell flat for me.

The characters were also interesting. I liked Wax, Wayne, Steris, and Marasi. They were all interesting in their way and I can't want to see how they continue to change as the books go on. However, like the world, they weren't as fleshed out as I wanted them to be. I kept comparing it to the original series and how attached I got. These characters were interesting, but I wasn't attached to what might happen to them.