The Selection, by Kiera Cass

michellecalderon's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

“I knew I wasn’t just going to fall in love with Maxon overnight. I knew my heart wouldn’t let me. But I suddenly found myself in a place where that was something I might want. So I thought about the possibility quietly in my head, though I was tempted to blurt out my secret more than once.”

whiitewalker's review against another edition

¿Solo 3 estrellas? Si. No empezó demasiado bien, me dio bastante rábia el rumbo que parecía tomar (machista sobretodo. Luego me he dado cuenta que es una especie de crítica a ello por la sociedad en la que viven). No fue hasta que pasé de la mitad del libro que empezó a gustarme de verdad. No me arrepiento de haberlo empezado, pues la trama engancha. Y lo que más me ha gustado es que la chica deje las cosas claras desde más o menos el principio, y no se espera dos libros a decir lo que siente. Si, hay un triangulo amoroso y suelo odiarlos, pero este me parece que de momento está bien estructurado y que puede que me lo pase bien.

jesper_fahey's review against another edition

It was pretty fun

ihearttay1's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny inspiring slow-paced

not a terrible book. good first read.

nabilabarcelo's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

Love this book, and great for those who are starting to read

icatchdreams's review against another edition

I actually really enjoyed this book but e ending was a little underwhelming which made me give it 3 stars instead of 4.

Also I’m not really a fan of ether love interest. I want to love one of them but, they’re both kind of so-so. If I had to choose I guess I’d say Macon because I got to see how trustworthy he is when America confides in him. I also appreciate how kind he is with her and her maids.

I’m interested to see how the struggle with the rebels is going to progress in the future books. I wonder if this will be like other dystopians where the main character ends up going against her country. It doesn’t seem like it right now since there is no communication with the rebels. I guess we’ll find out.

ksun427's review against another edition

The book is about 16 year old, America Singer who lives in what use to be the United States. Here, people are divided into castes with 1 being the best and 8 being the worst. You can move up or down the system. America is a 5, in the bottom half of the system.

America is in love with a 6 but it has to be kept secret because even though you are able to move down, it is frowned upon and America's mom desperately wants her to move up.

The prince of the country is ready to marry and must use a system called the selection to pick a wife. Girls between 16-19 can send in an app and it gets widdle down to 35 girls.

America only signs up at the urging of her secret boyfriend, Aspen. She does it only because she doesn't think she will be picked. Aspen breaks up with her because of his caste.

She ends up being picked and ends up getting close to the prince, learning there is more going with the rebel groups than the government is letting on.

Aspen ends up being a palace guard and they briefly rekindle. However, after reaching the top 6, she breaks up with him to see The Selection and her relationship through.

It was a good read and intriguing enough for me to continue to read. I find America to be a great role model for the young adult audience. I also like how that the author opted not to have the traditional love triangle that happens way to often in books.

edithlansens's review against another edition

I originally hadn't wanted to read this because I was convinced that it was going to be another cliché 'girl acts casual, prince falls in love with her' kind of story.
I'm so happy I finally picked it up though.
Kiera Cass's writing style is gorgeous and captivating. My heart was beating in my chest the entire time!
But - the love triangle
Seriously, I can't feel any Chemistry between Aspen and America, and I tried. I'm going to be extremely upset if she lets her feelings for Aspen get in the way of her happily ever after with Maxon! The kingdom needs someone like her, not like that awful girl Celeste.

A thing I found extremely exciting was the rebel attacks. I really want to learn more about these Southerners and Northerners! I have a feeling I'll see a lot more of them in the next books though. Everything will probably escalate.

And last but not least I loved her family! They were all so real and well-developed! May was my absolute favourite, of course. She was just a bundle of joy.

jay00's review against another edition

lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

elsbeth7eira's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

this book reminded me of  how much i detest love triangles. i didn't give a damn about Maxon and Aspen frustrated me and the worst part is that there is nothing particular in him that caused my irritation it is just i know America will end up with Maxon and he is just an obstacle not a character. i guess it is the reason i hate love triangles so much. anyways there were other parts that made me cringe but overall it was enjoyable (except the last quarter for some reason just the part Aspen showed up) and fast-paced. i liked the side characters much better than the main ones, especially the queen, Marlee and America's maids.