Reviews tagging Miscarriage

The Selection, by Kiera Cass

thecourtofreading's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

sudatot's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted sad medium-paced

sj1234's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

megan_j's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

This book was very average. A lighthearted quick read that was actually a lot shorter than I thought it would be. America is likeable and so is Maxon, but I don’t love Aspen as much as I feel like the book wanted me to. I was honestly expecting a conclusion within this book, but it looks like I’m going to be reading the next few now as well, because even though it is average it also has me wondering what will happen next.
It was quite strange to read about a different type of female character in a dystopian book, growing up with the likes of Katniss Everdeen who fiercely rejected everything her country stood for, America Singer seems to be proud of her country, even though her and her family and loved ones have often had to go hungry or cold, she or her family seem to be proud to be citizens of Ilea and she only briefly seems to mention that the process of the selection slightly unsettles her as a misogynistic and unfair process. She remarks on how the country decides to chose a wife from lower ranks to keep the citizens happy, and then admires the queen herself, therefore feeding into what the country was trying to do by picking her.
Gave this book slightly more than 3 stars just because it has got me wondering what will happen next, but doesn’t feel deserving of a four just because of the simplistic writing style and predictable plot.

arce's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing tense medium-paced

Hunger Games meets "The Bachelor", and I hate it
Everything I liked about the Hunger Games isn't in this book (esp. Katniss being independet), and the whole concept about "The Bachelor" is stupid.

The few parts I liked were America (what? why? who uses this as name?) kicking the Prince's cojones and being kind to her maids.

I'll continue reading this series, because I want to know, what the rebels want.

ohworm's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

supersandra's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted reflective sad tense medium-paced

Formulaic and often predictable, but still enjoyable. :)

katherineclimber's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted tense fast-paced

Spoiler I don't usually read very many romances, but I actually really enjoyed this book. It was very fast paced and America's constantly changing love interests keep me intrigued. This book is interesting because most books are either plot driven, character driven, or a mix of both. But in this book, the plot is the character development, because the plot is basically the love triangle which is driven by America's feelings, I don't know I just thought it was interesting. Also, while reading this book I fell into every one of the author's traps. What I mean by that is that when Aspen was first introduced I was like okay, they're the perfect couple and then Maxon was introduced and I thought the same thing. I'm a little worried that the next book is just going to be America going back and forth between the two guys and not actually have a plot, so I'm hoping that there will be some new element or driving force introduced. Here are some things I hope to see in the coming books: First of all, and this might be too much to ask for from a 2012 romance novel, but I want to see the dystopian element explored more in the coming books. So maybe something to do with the rebel attacks. Or maybe the separation between the different castes could be explored more. I would also love to see America's relationship with Marlee be more fleshed out. And finally, along that same train of though I want to know what's going on with Marlee, because she's definitely hiding something. Overall though, I really enjoyed reading this and I would definitely recommend it for getting out of a reading slump.