Reviews tagging Sexual assault

The Selection, by Kiera Cass

brittcorcoran's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

It’s like the bachelor but it’s teenaged girls in a dystopian world being trapped in a palace and trying to impress the prince so they can access more of society’s benefits by moving up castes??? Basically?

merveille's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

I picked up this book out of curiosity since it was very popular during the 2010s. I was about 9 when it came out so obviously I wasn't there for the hype, so seeing it in my school's bookstore now as a 19-year-old, I figured it might a fun and lighthearted read to get me out of a slump. To start on a good note, that's exactly what it did! I had a lot of fun reading The Selection, and it definitely held my interest the entire time. I love books with royalty aspects in them, especially when the main character is joining a royal family or is already in one, so this automatically had a nice atmosphere for me. I also think that the "romance" between the main character, America, and Prince Maxon was very enjoyable. I love the dynamic between them and how natural the two of them get along.

Now here's where my issue comes in. I absolutely cannot get behind the relationship between Aspen and America because...there is none. The book starts off with us knowing that they had been "together" for about two years prior to this, and we meet them quite literally at the end of that relationship. I don't know how the author expected me to feel something for her and Aspen as a couple when I literally know nothing about them or their dynamic outside of the small things mentioned here and there. It got to be especially annoying when watching her and Maxon's friendship blossom and grow into something I can root for because the whole time she is stuck harping on someone I (as the reader) never got to know. I can feel bad for her because she was hurt by their situation but hello!! You're getting to know and like this wonderful person right there in front of you!

Spoiler So imagine how irritated I was to see Aspen is now working at the palace as a guard. And now knowing that the rest of the series is going to be America going back and forth between the two is really unappealing for me, as someone who doesn't care for love triangles.

Anyways, I gave the book 3.5 stars because I did enjoy the book as a whole, and even though America is kind of a typical white main character, I did like her character decently enough. I love her and Maxon's friendship and I think I will continue the series to see how it develops even more.

sudatot's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted sad medium-paced

elderflower's review

veradamisch's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

asthxte's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

emma_lei's review

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

I’ve had a copy of this book for so long and finally decided to pick it up off my shelf.

Overall it was a simple and endearing read. There was a pretty even balance between the fun banter and some of the more serious plot threads.

Due to the fast-paced nature I found this book hard to put down and read for hours at a time over the past couple days.

I’m excited to read the next book to see what important themes are explored more.

ohworm's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

supersandra's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted reflective sad tense medium-paced

Formulaic and often predictable, but still enjoyable. :)

katherineclimber's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted tense fast-paced

Spoiler I don't usually read very many romances, but I actually really enjoyed this book. It was very fast paced and America's constantly changing love interests keep me intrigued. This book is interesting because most books are either plot driven, character driven, or a mix of both. But in this book, the plot is the character development, because the plot is basically the love triangle which is driven by America's feelings, I don't know I just thought it was interesting. Also, while reading this book I fell into every one of the author's traps. What I mean by that is that when Aspen was first introduced I was like okay, they're the perfect couple and then Maxon was introduced and I thought the same thing. I'm a little worried that the next book is just going to be America going back and forth between the two guys and not actually have a plot, so I'm hoping that there will be some new element or driving force introduced. Here are some things I hope to see in the coming books: First of all, and this might be too much to ask for from a 2012 romance novel, but I want to see the dystopian element explored more in the coming books. So maybe something to do with the rebel attacks. Or maybe the separation between the different castes could be explored more. I would also love to see America's relationship with Marlee be more fleshed out. And finally, along that same train of though I want to know what's going on with Marlee, because she's definitely hiding something. Overall though, I really enjoyed reading this and I would definitely recommend it for getting out of a reading slump.