Reviews tagging Slavery

The Selection, by Kiera Cass

fruitiebabe's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

arce's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing tense medium-paced

Hunger Games meets "The Bachelor", and I hate it
Everything I liked about the Hunger Games isn't in this book (esp. Katniss being independet), and the whole concept about "The Bachelor" is stupid.

The few parts I liked were America (what? why? who uses this as name?) kicking the Prince's cojones and being kind to her maids.

I'll continue reading this series, because I want to know, what the rebels want.

camigy's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Ok, let's be honest, we all know I gave it such a high rating because i'm lonely and sad and this is my comfort book bc it reminds me of when i was a little girl and loved princess stories.
Buttt it is not perfect ofc:
- america is such a stereotype of a YA novel character, "i'm not like other girls" "i'm not pretty" "i'm not interesting" "i don't like the love interest and that's why he likes me back" "i'm spr humble and don't care about all these riches that i find in this castle" bla bla bla
- the whole concept of her and 34 other girls dating the prince and being forced to be loyal only to him and if they're not it's treason and they'll get killed is fucked up and kinda misogynistic but ok (plus all these girls competing for a man.. pls)

But if ur just looking for a kinda dumb little story to read w/o rly thinking about it, this is for you. Romance-wise i found it to be spr cute and u also get to read about her living in a palace and uk living the life of a princess

aravenclawlibraryx's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted tense slow-paced

Find this review and others like it at https://aravenclawlibraryx.wordpress.com

I’ve heard a lot about this book series and I’ve seen it floating around Goodreads a few years ago. I feel like there was talk of it being a show or something? I have no idea but I remember being intrigued by the covers as I love ballgowns. I was feeling a bit of a slump coming on so I decided to take a crack at this series to see if it was any good as it sounds like it would be up my alley. While it was a bit predictable, I actually did enjoy it quite a bit. I think younger Lacy would have enjoyed this book quite a bit but as an adult, it didn’t quite have the same charm and appeal. Regardless, it’s a good book.

Kiera Cass can write teenagers and to me that is a huge plus. Lord, I was so annoyed with America and then the next minute, I was rooting for her. She had feelings that were big and she didn’t always know how to deal with them. She tried her best and that’s all you can even ask for with teenagers. Teenagers are fickle creatures. I know that’s how I was when I was a teen. I’m pretty sure I was just awful as a teenager. I work with teens and sometimes they drive me bonkers. So kudos to Cass for writing realistic teenagers.

The world system was odd and if I’m being honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of it. There is a caste system and you get a number based on the caste system. To be honest, caste systems and the likes are started to get a bit overplayed. I know it’s how the chosen one trope starts but it's just getting so dang old. It’s a bit unclear how the caste system came to be. Hopefully the world gets explained better.

I think what truly hindered my enjoyment was the plot itself. It was reminiscent of the Bachelor/Bachelorette. I’m not the biggest fan of those shows. I used to be a fan of them when I was a lot younger but not so much now. I’m not judging those that like them, that just aren’t for me.

Overall, if you enjoy the Bachelor and the reasons I listed above appeal to you, I think you could enjoy this book. It’s a bit dated and predictable but it's an enjoyable ride nonetheless. It’s an easy book series to binge read if you are looking for something fun and easy to read.