Reviews tagging Violence

The Selection, by Kiera Cass

brittcorcoran's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

It’s like the bachelor but it’s teenaged girls in a dystopian world being trapped in a palace and trying to impress the prince so they can access more of society’s benefits by moving up castes??? Basically?

fruitiebabe's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

merveille's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

I picked up this book out of curiosity since it was very popular during the 2010s. I was about 9 when it came out so obviously I wasn't there for the hype, so seeing it in my school's bookstore now as a 19-year-old, I figured it might a fun and lighthearted read to get me out of a slump. To start on a good note, that's exactly what it did! I had a lot of fun reading The Selection, and it definitely held my interest the entire time. I love books with royalty aspects in them, especially when the main character is joining a royal family or is already in one, so this automatically had a nice atmosphere for me. I also think that the "romance" between the main character, America, and Prince Maxon was very enjoyable. I love the dynamic between them and how natural the two of them get along.

Now here's where my issue comes in. I absolutely cannot get behind the relationship between Aspen and America because...there is none. The book starts off with us knowing that they had been "together" for about two years prior to this, and we meet them quite literally at the end of that relationship. I don't know how the author expected me to feel something for her and Aspen as a couple when I literally know nothing about them or their dynamic outside of the small things mentioned here and there. It got to be especially annoying when watching her and Maxon's friendship blossom and grow into something I can root for because the whole time she is stuck harping on someone I (as the reader) never got to know. I can feel bad for her because she was hurt by their situation but hello!! You're getting to know and like this wonderful person right there in front of you!

Spoiler So imagine how irritated I was to see Aspen is now working at the palace as a guard. And now knowing that the rest of the series is going to be America going back and forth between the two is really unappealing for me, as someone who doesn't care for love triangles.

Anyways, I gave the book 3.5 stars because I did enjoy the book as a whole, and even though America is kind of a typical white main character, I did like her character decently enough. I love her and Maxon's friendship and I think I will continue the series to see how it develops even more.

thecourtofreading's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

olivewastaken's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

sudatot's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted sad medium-paced

veradamisch's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

arce's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing tense medium-paced

Hunger Games meets "The Bachelor", and I hate it
Everything I liked about the Hunger Games isn't in this book (esp. Katniss being independet), and the whole concept about "The Bachelor" is stupid.

The few parts I liked were America (what? why? who uses this as name?) kicking the Prince's cojones and being kind to her maids.

I'll continue reading this series, because I want to know, what the rebels want.

asthxte's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced