The Selection, by Kiera Cass

haleyatucker's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

it’s just really good trash i love it.

lizasaurr's review against another edition

I just finished the book and all I can think about is how it did NOT leave me wanting more. The cliffhanger wasn't so much a cliffhanger as it was Americas feelings splattered all over the last few pages. Surprise surprise, another love triangle. I understand this is suppose to be a "post-apocalyptic" romance but the story was really under developed. This novel had so much more potential the author could have dove more into the caste system and explained the provinces or even the war in more details before getting to the Selection. The "history lesson" that took place seemed to be forced to provide a quick explanation so satisfy readers about how Illéa came to be and then its never addressed again. And we never read about the girls getting another lesson in history, or any other subject, again. I would have loved if I could have read America struggling with things like etiquette or sunbjects she shouldn't know or was terrible at because she was a five. The "unique" thing about her was thay she didn't like too much makeup or jewelry - and that was about the only difference that set her apart from the rest of the 35 girls in the Selection. I just couldn't relate to her and I felt like the author was trying to make her "perfect." She excelled in the arts, her studies, attracting the handsomest guy in Carolina, being the only five left after the second day(?), and still making it to the top 6 and on top of that is the only one who isn't in the top 6 because of social or political matters. Special snowflake much?

What really intrigued me was why citizens didn't talk much about the history of the nation and passed it through word of mouth, or have history books (I'm assuming because of the tattered book America found in her home), if Illéa was suppose a much better nation than the United States. Has anyone not heard of learning about the past so it that it cant be repeated? And the rebels. They are another interesting premise in the book but not much detail is given for me to care. They are obviously searching for something of value in the house but we arent given a clue abouy what it could be. Absolutely no contact was made with a rebel and America and I feel like if there was at least real questions could be made to further the story and not just random speculatiom that America has that IS NEVER ADDRESSED. I am NOT saying there should have been violence toward her in anyway but at least something that caused me to gain interest in the reason behing their raids.

I did however like that America brought up these questions about what she came across instead of glossing over what she notices. That was a big deal even though the questions weren't answered. I was asking myself these questions and its good that she keeps wondering about them instead of pushing them aside. I guess I'm just impatient and what answers and acrion right away lol. I also LOVED that she did not fall for the prince right away especially after feeling such heartache. I really liked that America tried to get over Aspen as soon as she got there even though it hurt. It was very realistic to me how she handled herself and her feelings. She started to have feelings towards Prince Maxon towards the end but did not thrust herself on him like the rest of the girls; She is honest to herself about where she stands with him and her feelings. Insteadof lying to him, she seeks out friendship with Maxon and I can see the relationship building off this into something more profound. He doesn't push her into anything she doesn't want to do and I believe that is a very great example of how a person should be treated. Maxon doesn't force the girls to do anything they don't want to and they can leave the competition anytime they wish.

tldr;
Overall, I think the story was enjoyable. The book raised many questions: about Marlee, the rebels, the king, and the history of Illéa. I enjoyed the interaction between the selected girls and I hope to see more with those chosen for the Elite. I will be reading the second book and will wait to see it the story expands past the competition.

lizzyfran28's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

sarahcasey's review against another edition

Found the concept intriguing, but the main character was annoying and I almost couldn’t stand reading from her pov. Maxon was cute tho.

hannahsophialin's review against another edition

I've always been curious WHY this one is a bestseller because I always thought the series sounded like a Bachelor version (with only one bachelor) of The Hunger Games where no one actually dies in the process. (Honestly this sounds a lot more interesting if you ask me.)

The Selection might be the funniest book I've read, but only because of all the commentary I made with one of my friends while reading the book. Without those comments, The Selection would be my first DNF of the year - an accomplishment I'm honestly proud of since that has never happened since I started blogging. (IT’S A STREAK. THE BEST STREAK.)

Admit it: secretly we all want a DNF-free year and be completely 100% accurate about the books we choose to bestow upon ourselves.

Here's why I'm not a huge fan of The Selection:
The names are very questionable. If my mom named me by a country and career, I would probably be China Reviewer. Singer doesn't sound like a bad surname, but America Singer doesn't have the greatest ring to it. The worst name, though, is Tuesday Keeper. But that's probably me.

And if we're going to be a little savage, sometimes I expected the characters to start saying America’s name in a sing song voice. (Wait. We're in a musical now, aren't we?) If we're continuing said path…

I really thought Maxon sounded like Max ON. So my brain reverts to Max on, Max off. My friend had a hey day with this as I live messaged her. “So are we Max on or Max off currently?”

I really don't care about what happens to the main characters. I cared more about America’s maids than America or Maxon. Maxon is a sweet character and all, and he could easily fall into place behind Jem Carstairs and Rishi Patel, but he doesn't have enough substance for me to like. Yay! He's a prince who’s a softie. Big whoop.

I don't like Aspen either.

And let me just ruin it for everyone else: it's obvious who America ends up with in the end.

Honestly, I think this is a bestseller because a lot of Bachelor fans brought it (and if anyone thinks I'm implying that fans of the series are full of Bachelor fans, that's not what I'm implying). It's a royalty version instead of plucking random guys and girls from normal lives - who wouldn't want to be picked for a prince and have a chance to win his heart? (And have their lives changed forever.) - straight into TV for the purposes of entertainment.

Yippee yay. 🙄

The Selection isn't my cup of tea, but it was a quick read and amusing - I'll be carrying on with other books instead of the rest of the series.

This review is originally posted on The Novelistics

aami15's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

cmart_99's review against another edition

funny slow-paced

elyons09's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

I love this book! I read it for a reading challenge and now I’m trying to figure out how to make the other books in this series fit into the reading challenge so I can keep reading!! The ending is great - leaves you wanting more!!!

cdnielson's review against another edition

gonna be a little more lazy with the upcoming reviews just because i need to catch up on the rest.

fave character: i mean would anyone not pick america? she is a badass, but also has a genuine care for everyone around her and the country as a whole.
fave part: overall, her just educating the prince on how shitty their lives really are and helping policy changes become reality.
overall: 8.5/10. it is cheesy, but i love it. it is a very quick read and it is full of dialogue, which i love. i still don't really know if i want her to end up with the prince or with aspen.

kbond's review against another edition

The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games-- that sums up everything you need to know about this book.