The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

noxnight's review against another edition

I was hoping it would be a lot more like Gail Carriger's finishing school series. Similar, but not quite as enthralling.

draculaura21's review against another edition

adventurous funny inspiring medium-paced

It has been quite some time since I've literally laughed out loud so many times while listening to an audiobook. Moira Quirk does a stellar job delivering Mackenzi Lee's wit and charm while being thoroughly incredulous at the treatment women received in the 18th century. My absolute favorite exchange that had me rolling:

"I'm talking about menstruation, sir!" I shout in return. It's like I set the hall on fire, manifested a venomous snake from thin air, also set that snake on fire, and then threw it at the board [of governors]. The men all erupt into protestations and a fair number of horrified gasps. I swear one of them actually swoons at the mention of womanly bleeding."

So. Utterly. Relatable.

While The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a story about finding your heart, The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy is about finding your purpose. It is a celebration of womanhood. That we deserve to be here. We deserve to exist and take up space in this world. That we can be strong "not in spite of anything, but powerful because of everything."

esshgee's review against another edition

Ha! As expected (or hoped), a rollicking good time with Felicity as the narrator. This is a fun series

jdbs00's review against another edition

solo lo leí porque lo tenía pendiente en físico, pero me gustó mucho. (el interés amoroso de la protagonista ayudó mucho a que me gustara).

migimon2002's review against another edition

I didn't enjoy this book as much as Montague Siblings #1, yet liked it more than I expected. Felicity is a protagonist with hutzpah, and one you continually root for.

littlewhiterabbitreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful slow-paced

citrarowan's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

MY GOD!!!! Just when I thought nothing could dethrone GG for me, LG crushed it, for real.

carryonamelia's review against another edition

I've been struggling to keep up with new releases lately, so when this originally dropped in October, I never got around to picking it up. When I read reviews, I heard mixed things. But I absolutely adored this novel. I've determined that Mackenzi Lee could write absolutely anything, and I would read it. Her books are hilarious and have stunningly memorable characters. Not only that, but they bring representation to narratives (especially historical ones) that have not yet been told. This is one of the many reasons her books are absolute favorites of mine. I'd say that this is my favorite book so far, considering books I'm reading for the first time.

Recently, I've been obsessed with the prospect of stories in which women save themselves and do not need a love interest in order to save them. This book gave me that. Felicity is ace/aro, which was developed in The Gentleman's Guide, and this continues throughout this book. She even talks at one point about saving herself, and I loved it. Although Felicity does accept help and receives aid from many people along the way, she's often able to take care of herself. Also, there is no main romance in this book! I loved that.

Alright, let's talk about my favorite part of this book: the girl trio. This book centers on one main character, Felicity. Felicity is training to work in medicine, yet is constantly rejected because it is 18th century England and she's a woman. However, she is resilient. Throughout Felicity's journey, two other girls help her. The first is Johanna, who I absolutely adored. Johanna is Felicity's childhood friend whom she had a falling out with. My favorite part about Johanna's character is that she's proof that a girl can be feminine and still strong. As a more feminine girl, I've personally struggled with this concept, so Johanna's story of her friendship with Felicity and Felicity learning to accept her [Johanna's] feminity really hit home. I hate the idea that a girl is "less" because of her interest in wearing pretty dresses and makeup. The fact that Johanna was shown as equal and that her feminity was shown as strength means more to me than I can say. I loved the part where she said that she can love both books and dresses, because I deeply relate to that. The other girl of the trio is Sim, a black Muslim pirate. Sim is also sapphic, which I adored! I honestly have the biggest crush on Sim, so I don't know how to explain just how awesome she is. Just... read this book and try to tell me you don't want to marry Sim.

For those of you worrying that this book won't have as much Percy and Monty, fret not. Percy and Monty both play important roles in the story, and they have a lot of quality scenes. The relationship between Felicity and Monty is also, as always, interesting to watch, so I loved that. However, even more important, I loved watching Felicity overcome her prejucide about same-sex couples throughout this story. To watch Felicity realize that Percy and Monty are merely two people in love was so amazing. Also the quote where she says Percy is half of Monty's heart was so cute!!

Overall, I loved this book. I know there were mixed feelings, but I adored it and am so excited to see what Mackenzi Lee will do in the future!

tiddlerrr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny mysterious fast-paced

Finally some nice ace representation

I love this series and the characters, it is a lot more historically accurate than a lot of people may think too. I adored Monty and Percy and how their relationship developed in the first book, which  is why I was so excited for Felicity’s point of view, and to see her character get a bit more developed. I sat and read this entire book in one sitting and it stayed on the brain for about the next week. Definitely recommend the entire series if you want something soft, fluffy, queer, while being filled with shenanigans in the 1700s!

hellothursday's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted