Reviews tagging Terminal illness

The Guncle, by Steven Rowley

amibo's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

eve_leclercracine's review

lighthearted slow-paced

I’m not certain what I was expecting, but it was not this.
This book had potential and some (what should have been) interesting major plot points. But they were resolved over the course of 1 or 2 chapters.
It did not give, what it was suppose to give.

spaghettireads's review

I didn't love the way Patrick talked to the kids, and expected them to know adult things. It didn't seem believable that he was that clueless about kids, and the joke seemed very repetitive already 45 pages in. There was also too much talk about body shaming, and ableist comments regarding one of the kid's lisp. Add in a few more jokes that seemed offensive and this didn't seem like something worth continuing.

linesiunderline's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted sad medium-paced

This one is a hug in book form. A heartwarming, sweet, funny and wise story that uplifted without treading into saccharine territory. While Patrick is in many ways a larger than life character, I was surprised to find this book has a gentle, even understated quality about it. The author doesn’t overdo anything - the laughs, the grief, the kids’ personalities... It’s all just right. It made me happy. I need my own copy because it’s a rare feel-good book that I can imagine rereading. Loved.

bookishvanessa's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

dylanlyman's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

atinybitbookish's review against another edition

funny hopeful medium-paced

lorinew1's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

taelights's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

I loved this book so much. It was such a beautiful story about family and grief that also contained such beautiful and unapologeticly gay representation.

Patrick was such a great character. Getting to learn more about his past was so interesting. Plus seeing how grief shaped his life and family begun to mend it was such a beautiful story to read.

Plus both the children (Grant and Maisie) were both such adorable characters and seeing their story after loosing their mother was so sad but heartwarming in places.

I also adored the side characters in this story a lot. I thought it was especially amazing to see gay polyamorous representation in a book because I've never seen that before. Patrick did start off judgemental about his neighbor's relationship but I thought it was nice to see his perspective begin to change and for him to become closer friends with them. I still wish Patrick ended up with the three of them because that would have been my perfect ending is him moving on from his loss and finding love somewhere he never expected but I am still very happy with the actual ending.

The only thing I didn't like about the book is how the author choose to write out Grant's lisp whenever he talked. As a reader with dyslexia it made it a bit challenging for me to understand what he was saying at times and I would often have to sit their trying to figure out what the word actually was. I wish the author had just mentioned his lisp a few times rather than actually writing it out nearly every speaking line Grant had.

Overall this book was a perfect mix of funny, sad, and heartwarming moments. I adored this book and all the characters so much.

wordsmaderight_'s review

emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

this one's a roller-coaster of emotions. You go from laughing to crying to laughing again. Patrick's relationship with the kids is amazing and beautifully written, as well as the bits about dealing with grief and loss.

the pace was a little bit slow for me and sometimes parts of Patrick's speeches felt a bit forced and took me out of the book, but other than that, it really is a great, great book. I know I'll be thinking about this story for a long time.