Reviews tagging Grief

The Guncle, by Steven Rowley

megatza's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

Patrick’s dear friend and sister-in-law, Sara, has just passed away and in the wake of her death, his brother Greg admits to a drug problem and asks if he can take their kids for the three months while he is in rehab. Grief stricken Maisie and Grant are reluctant to leave what they know in Connecticut to live with GUP - Gay Uncle Patrick - in Palm Springs for the summer. Patrick is wholly unprepared to deal with his niece and nephew. Or his sister. Or his brother. Or his semi-retirement. Or his lingering grief over his own lost lover. And yet, human resilience shines through in this delightful novel, as we spend our summer with Guncle Patrick.

I knew very little about this book other than that it was getting rave reviews and has had some of the best cover recreations. Laugh out loud funny, this lovely novel is a lighthearted and yet still serious approach to confronting grief. Steven Rowley captures the glamorous yet lonely ex-Hollywood world Patrick inhabits with a light touch - from the agent to the neighbors to the ridiculous house and the unused Tesla. This book provides warmth, sadness, strength, and support. I absolutely recommend it.

arlenevz's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

tacoshark's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

This was such a lovely, sweet book. It's sad, of course, because it's about loss and grief, but it's dealt with beautifully and realistically. The children are written very believably and aren't just caricatures. Patrick's own grief is very real and specific. It all sounds sad but ultimately it's a really lovely, funny, charming book and I enjoyed it a lot.

amibo's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

foldingthepage's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad slow-paced

sbru's review

challenging emotional funny sad slow-paced

eve_leclercracine's review

lighthearted slow-paced

I’m not certain what I was expecting, but it was not this.
This book had potential and some (what should have been) interesting major plot points. But they were resolved over the course of 1 or 2 chapters.
It did not give, what it was suppose to give.

rishel's review

funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

spaghettireads's review

I didn't love the way Patrick talked to the kids, and expected them to know adult things. It didn't seem believable that he was that clueless about kids, and the joke seemed very repetitive already 45 pages in. There was also too much talk about body shaming, and ableist comments regarding one of the kid's lisp. Add in a few more jokes that seemed offensive and this didn't seem like something worth continuing.

hannahb1533's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

Well friends I did it… I stepped out of contemporary romance for a moment.

The Guncle is sweet, funny, reflective, and just a fun read. The book does such a good job looking at grief and how it effects people differently and also how people overcome grief and start living again.

The book reads like a sitcom that I would just keep watching and I found Rowley’s writing to be fun and witty. Patrick is a layered character and his development throughout the book is nuanced and self-reflective. His interactions with the kids felt real and not cliche, his character is well developed and that personality shines through in his interactions with the kids. I was a bit worried the book would go a bit too much with the very stereotypical gay uncle/friend persona, but the balance is great and Patrick feels like his own character, not a caricature.

I definitely recommend this if you are in a reading slump or need a cleanser from your normal reading genre. Also I need this book to become a stage play and my only choice for Patrick is Andrew Rannells.